PDA

View Full Version : SUpplier question

Keith E Byrd
06-03-2011, 9:35 AM
I did a search and found that a few years 2007 - that people were frustrated ordering from highligh woodworking.
Question 1 - what is your current experience?
Question 2 - does anyone have an opinion regarding the Bodger HSS turning tools?
Thanks in advance!

Al Wasser
06-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I have ordered from them for several years and have never had a problem. On one order the item I wanted was out of stock and they called and we worked out a replacement which I would call good service. Sorry, I can't help with the Bodger tools.

Quinn McCarthy
06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I have ordered from them a bunch of time. Never had a problem with anything. Never tried Bogder tools.

Quinn

Jon Nuckles
06-03-2011, 1:02 PM
I bought the bodger set of 5 (IIRC) tools last year when they were on sale for 69.95. They were a good value at that price, but are not on a par with my sorby and certainly not my doug thompson. I still use the two scrapers that came with the set and would use the skew if I used a skew. The spindle gouge is ok, but the 1/4 bowl gouge is too flexible to be much use. I have ordered other things from Highland and have always had prompt delivery with no problems.

Michael Mills
06-03-2011, 1:19 PM
I have bought from them many times since about the mid 80's and never had a problem. Of course it was from mail catalogues back then. Al Gore had not invented the internet yet so they could set up a web site.

Harry Robinette
06-03-2011, 8:22 PM
Can't remember for sure where it was,I think it was the AAW magazine there was a tool metal comparison. They compared all the major and minor tool makers for there HSS and Rockwell Hardness,I'm almost positive that Bodger tools scored the lowest of all tools even lower then Harbor Freight and Ben's Best.There HSS wasn't even high enough on the scale to be HSS. I wouldn't waste my money. As always JMHO

Keith E Byrd
06-04-2011, 7:29 AM
Thank you all for the info - I did place an order (mini lathe for my son - should be ashamed for setting him up for the vortex!) and within two hours I had a ship notice and for $13 they shipped it UPS ground will arrive on Tuesday. I call that really fast and great priced service!