PDA

View Full Version : No. 36 - Eastern Red Cedar Bowl

James Combs
06-03-2011, 9:28 AM
Just something to make shavings with (read "needed therapy"). Wood was retrieved from my scrap bin. Would have been nicer without so many "character" cracks (CA filled):rolleyes:.

Stats:
Material = Eastern Aromatic Red Cedar
Height = 1-3/4"
Diameter = 4-1/4"
Finish = Two coats of Deft rattle can lacquer

Comments welcome.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Cory Norgart
06-03-2011, 9:43 AM
very eye appealing James. Great looking wood and an awsome looking finish. The rim really adds to the form.

Tim Rinehart
06-03-2011, 9:57 AM
James, Nice bowl...understand the therapy part!
As for the character lines...well, to me it ain't cedar if it doesn't crack!

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2011, 1:16 PM
Wow - lots of color in that bowl! Nice work James!

John Keeton
06-03-2011, 3:30 PM
JD, you did a nice job on this one. I did a couple of cedar pieces early on, and while I like the final look, the cracking broke me of turning it anymore. It is really predictable in that regard.

David E Keller
06-03-2011, 3:32 PM
Looks good, James. Great finish on that cedar(I struggle with cedar)

For those who don't know that this is your 36th piece, the bottom might indicate that this was made on May 36th... Just a thought.

Baxter Smith
06-03-2011, 9:55 PM
Very pretty wood James. Nice colors and finish!

Jeff Fagen
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I like the rim detail and the way you describe your procedure.

Jim Burr
06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm actually fond of the cracks JD...anyone can a turn a perfect chunk of wood, character is so much fun!

Don Alexander
06-04-2011, 3:24 AM
thems not cracks .................. thats artificial spalting :D:D:D:D

Dennis Simmons
06-04-2011, 5:49 PM
I like the bowl. when I turn cedar, if you get it hot from the tool work it will crack. I always have the radio loud, and with all the other noise I can hear it crack. However when it cools the cracks close up,:D some times:) glue works fine.

James Combs
06-05-2011, 10:56 PM
very eye appealing James. Great looking wood and an awsome looking finish. The rim really adds to the form.

Thanks Cory, Lacquer is the only thing I have found that will cover and stay somewhat glossy on Cedar. Poor finishing is probably due to the Cedar's natural oils.

James, Nice bowl...understand the therapy part!
As for the character lines...well, to me it ain't cedar if it doesn't crack!

Thanks Tim, I try to get some of this type (spur-of-the-moment unplanned turning) of therapy on a regulator occasion.

Wow - lots of color in that bowl! Nice work James!

Thanks Steve, always appreciate your comments. In the case of cedar to me it always looks better in photos then in real life.

JD, you did a nice job on this one. I did a couple of cedar pieces early on, and while I like the final look, the cracking broke me of turning it anymore. It is really predictable in that regard.

John, my current stock of cedar consists of one ~6inch log that has set in the weather for a few years. It has so may cracks in it's barkless skin that it is very hard to find anything larger then two to 2-1/2 inches that doesn't have a crack already. I am hoping the logs Saturday have more/better internal wood.

Looks good, James. Great finish on that cedar(I struggle with cedar)

For those who don't know that this is your 36th piece, the bottom might indicate that this was made on May 36th... Just a thought.

Thanks David, as I noted above cedar has a lot of oil which is probably what makes it hard to finish. I never really paid much attention to how my numbering might look like a date. I will have to see if I can do something a little less confusing.

Very pretty wood James. Nice colors and finish!

Thanks Baxter, always great getting you guy's compliments.

I like the rim detail and the way you describe your procedure.

Thanks for the comment Jeff. BTW I hope I didn't get to complicated with describing the critical parts of the procedure.:rolleyes::D

I'm actually fond of the cracks JD...anyone can a turn a perfect chunk of wood, character is so much fun!

Jim you are absolutely right, now if I can just remember that fact long enough to...:eek:

thems not cracks .................. thats artificial spalting :D:D:D:D

Don, another great interpretation. I will try to remember that one too. I was also thinking that next time I might try a contrasting filler...I wonder what turquoise cracks would look like?;):D

I like the bowl. when I turn cedar, if you get it hot from the tool work it will crack. I always have the radio loud, and with all the other noise I can hear it crack. However when it cools the cracks close up,:D some times:) glue works fine.

Thanks for the comments Dennis. I really haven't had any Cedar crack while I was working it. Most of the cracks I have had were in the original wood.

Michelle Rich
06-06-2011, 6:32 AM
nice bowl. I don't use cedar anymore, as the color fades fairly quickly and turns a blah brown. Keep this out of direct light. Sure looks pretty today!

Donny Lawson
06-06-2011, 6:40 AM
I think it's a great job and the colors are very nice too. Cedar is prone to crack but that's just cedar for you.