PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Car Tires

Peter Stahl
06-03-2011, 6:55 AM
Anyone have a tire they really like that is quiet and lasts? My Sentra came with Bridgestone tires and they seem to be getting noisier as they get older plus the tread is getting low, time for new ones. There is a new Firestone store close to me so that is a option but definitely not a deciding factor. If I have to spend $500+ on tires I'd like to get a quiet one.

thanks, Pete

Greg Just
06-03-2011, 6:59 AM
I have Michelin on my 02 Trailblazer with 71k on the tires. Smooth riding and quiet. Need to replace soon.

David Weaver
06-03-2011, 7:26 AM
I had michelins on my last car, liked them a lot. They wore well and evenly and were quiet.

Still on OEM tires on the current car (goodyear eagles, I guess they can't sell them to anyone so they seem to be OEM on everything i've gotten in the last 10 years). FIL has had very good experience with Goodrich Touring T/A tires (you can find them for a good price at sams and probably not too pricey at walmart - they're a bit cheaper than the good michelins). Not noisy, and he's got 60k miles on his set on a honda accord and they still pass inspection easily.

Bill Leonard
06-03-2011, 7:58 AM
I drive exclusively Cooper Tires. I started about 20 years ago and have had great service from them.

Lee Schierer
06-03-2011, 8:03 AM
I love Kelly Navigator Gold tires on my Mazda 6 and General Grabber HTX on my Tribute. Both ride well have excellent snow, wet and dry traction and best of all are quiet. I had Michelins on my Mazda 6 when it was new, worst tires I've ever had for traction on wet roads or with even a little bit of snow plus they were outrageously expensive.

Scott T Smith
06-03-2011, 9:11 AM
We're on our second set of Michelin LTX's on our Excursion. The first set gave us almost 80,000 miles of service.

The amazing thing about the first set was that whenever we rotated the tires and had the balance checked, they were always still in balance! I've never seen that before with any other tire.

Smooth ride to the end too.

I'm about to put a set of Michelin's on my F450, but am cringing at the $2,800.00 price tag for a set of 6 (19.5" rim, load range G's).

Mike Archambeau
06-03-2011, 9:18 AM
I like Michelin as well. They balance up nice, wear well, and give good performance. Have you considered Tirerack as a source. www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com)

They can recommend an installer in your area. I have been buying tires from them for more than ten years.

Peter Stahl
06-03-2011, 9:24 AM
I like Michelin as well. They balance up nice, wear well, and give good performance. Have you considered Tirerack as a source. www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com)

They can recommend an installer in your area. I have been buying tires from them for more than ten years.

Yes, but I have never bought tires from them. What do they do for road hazard, who fixes them?

Chris Kennedy
06-03-2011, 9:37 AM
Another vote for Michelin's. I put Hydroedge's on my Altima and they were fantastic. I replaced them with some Kumho's, and when they are done, I am going back to Michelin. I really noticed the performance in the rain.

Chris

Greg Peterson
06-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I put a set of Yokohamas on our Camry. I was surprised at the smooth and quiet ride. I was told at the time that they were comparable to Michelins, only less expensive. I've never had a set of Michelins so I can not say how they compare.

I am due for another set of tires soon and unless there is a quieter tire out there, I'll buy another set of Yokohamas.

Jeff Monson
06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Another vote for Cooper tires, the new CS4 is a really nice wearing, quite tire.

Orion Henderson
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Check the reviews on Tire Rack if nothing else. A good tire for a truck or SUV is rather different than a compact car. For my money-I love Toyo as a brand but not sure they make a great car tire. Yokohama would probably be my favorite non snow specific car tires. I had a set of Michelin's on a 4wd pick up that I did not like. They lasted about 40K and I thought the snow traction was weak. I have some OEM Continental car tires now that I really don't like much. Not much performance, but quiet.

Tire Rack ships to you or a local independent garage who installs and handles road hazard warranty work.

Peter Stahl
06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I put a set of Yokohamas on our Camry. I was surprised at the smooth and quiet ride. I was told at the time that they were comparable to Michelins, only less expensive. I've never had a set of Michelins so I can not say how they compare.

I am due for another set of tires soon and unless there is a quieter tire out there, I'll buy another set of Yokohamas.

Greg, Do you know which tire it is. Looked Yoko's, lots of different one. Thanks.

Greg Peterson
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I'll let you know this evening. Car isn't nearby right now.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I have had really good luck with Michelins and Toyo's.

Jim Rimmer
06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Are you looking at car or light truck tires? I have had good luck with Good Year Wranglers on my Bronco IIs (when they still made the B II) and on my F150s. I have heard a lot of good things about Michelins for pickups. I live south of Houston so I don't have to deal with snow but when I lived in Iowa I noticed a lot of folks had Wrangler tires.

Gene Howe
06-03-2011, 1:27 PM
Coopers for my truck and cars.

Frank Drew
06-03-2011, 1:38 PM
There are too many tire models and brands that I haven't used for me to think I have a comprehensive view of the field, but I've always liked the performance and longevity I've gotten from Michelins.

I bought a set of Michelin snow tires this past January... then it didn't snow again for the rest of the winter :(. Whatever...

I got them from Tirerack and I can't remember a company I've dealt with that gave better, more efficient or friendlier service, before and after the sale; from that one experience I really consider them a superior outfit. YMMV, of course.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-03-2011, 3:17 PM
I have had really good luck with Michelins and Toyo's.

I agree with Ken; would also add Cooper to the list.

Bryan Morgan
06-03-2011, 6:00 PM
I like Gooyear Eagles or Nitto 555's. Right now I have Falken Ziex ze912's and they are decent. Quiet and they grip well. I only got them because I had 2 nails in both rear tires that couldn't be repaired and its the only decent tire Firestone had in stock at the time.

Dave Lehnert
06-03-2011, 7:05 PM
Michelin get good press but they are expensive.
I have had good luck with Goodyear and Firestone. Have a set of Kelly on my truck right now. Did not last and slide all over the place in the winter.

Myk Rian
06-03-2011, 7:27 PM
I put Goodyear Assurance Triple-treds on my Contour. They are a great tire on snow, rain, and dry roads. Look at the specs for those ratings. I was VERY happy with them.

Larry Edgerton
06-03-2011, 8:00 PM
Cooper on my trucks, Toyo T1R's on my Mazdaspeed in the summer, Blizzaks in the winter.

I like the Michelins on the trucks, but they do not perform any better than the Coopers and cost more than twice as much. Get the same miles out of both.

Andy Haney
06-03-2011, 9:43 PM
FWIW, I agree with the previous suggestion to check TireRack.com. You can find reviews about the various qualities of tires that fit your vehicle. I'm sure quietness is among the criteria. When I used TireRack to determine what tire I wanted for my truck...I took that information to the local Firestone store. It wasn't a brand they carry, but they got them for me and have covered them with road hazard, etc. I would hope your local store is just as accommodating.

Andy Haney