PDA

View Full Version : No. 37 - Bitternut Hickory Vase HF

James Combs
06-02-2011, 9:56 PM
In a wood trade with John K. I received a nice Bitternut Hickory bowl blank. To reduce the amount of wast and get the best utilization of the blank I cut it in half. This is from the first half.

Stats:
Material = Nicely grained Bitternut Hickory
Height = 7.5" (John, a couple inches shy of my estimate in another post) :o
Diameter = Just over 4" at it's widest point
Wall thickness = 1/4" mostly with a 7/8" bottom
Opening = 1-1/4"
Finish = 3 coats of Satin WOP

C&C appreciated.

Edit: Spelling Correction - Butternut to Bitternut.

Roger Chandler
06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
That is really pretty, James. I like the form, great job on the neck area.............maybe a little more curve and less diameter at the base would have made this one about as good as one can get it, but this is a beautiful work you have here.

Quinn McCarthy
06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I agree with Roger. I just love anything turned in hickory. Such a prettyood.

It's bitternut hickory.

Quinn

Tim Rinehart
06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
James, agreed on Roger's comments. Gorgeous piece of wood, look forward to what the next one is like too. As mentioned, try smoothing the area up near the top a bit. If you like a more stable base...so be it, leave it larger as long as you keep a nice smooth curve to the base. ( I like larger bases too )

Harry Robinette
06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice piece like the shape and love Hickory. Quinn thanks for the bitternut I was trying to figure out butternut Hickory.

Jim Burr
06-02-2011, 10:36 PM
What a great chunk of wood!! Very nice shape JD...I don't think the bottom should change a bit, it has a 1800's medicine jar look to it. Very well done sir!

Bob Bergstrom
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Some great vertical grain. Lovely brown color and great form. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
James - nice work on your vase! Sure is some pretty wood! Seems like there are always things you can do different when it comes to form but the real question is what would you do different... if anything... and then incorporate that into your next piece. Above all else - keep having fun with it! You have come a long way and I look forward to seeing what you turn next!

Dan Forman
06-03-2011, 3:03 AM
Well, whatever you call the wood, it sure is a pretty vase! :)

Donny Lawson
06-03-2011, 6:43 AM
The vase does have clean lines and a good shape. I like it.

John Keeton
06-03-2011, 6:48 AM
Excellent use of that wood, JD!! Your forms are really looking great and the grain orientation on this one adds much.

cal thelen
06-03-2011, 7:02 AM
That is some real pretty wood. I like the form

Michelle Rich
06-03-2011, 8:08 AM
nice, cleanly turned vase & nice wood. Can't beat that!

bob svoboda
06-03-2011, 8:49 AM
Very nice, James.

James Combs
06-03-2011, 8:54 AM
That is really pretty, James. I like the form, great job on the neck area.............maybe a little more curve and less diameter at the base would have made this one about as good as one can get it, but this is a beautiful work you have here.

James, agreed on Roger's comments. Gorgeous piece of wood, look forward to what the next one is like too. As mentioned, try smoothing the area up near the top a bit. If you like a more stable base...so be it, leave it larger as long as you keep a nice smooth curve to the base. ( I like larger bases too )

Roger/Tim, I have to agree with you guys. The base should be a little smaller "or" the top a little larger. However Tim, I am not sure I understand your "try smoothing" suggestion, can you give me a little more detail?:confused:

I agree with Roger. I just love anything turned in hickory. Such a prettyood.

It's bitternut hickory.

Quinn

Nice piece like the shape and love Hickory. Quinn thanks for the bitternut I was trying to figure out butternut Hickory.

Ah come on Quinn/Harry, there's not a lot of difference between "u" and "i"... we both turn wood right??:rolleyes: Seriously, I went back and looked at John's original markings on the blank and realized that I miss-read it. "Bitternut it is.:o This automotive engineer is not a wood species expert.:D BTW really appreciate the comments.

What a great chunk of wood!! Very nice shape JD...I don't think the bottom should change a bit, it has a 1800's medicine jar look to it. Very well done sir!

Thanks Jim, the medicine jar look or similar is what I was going for. Thanks again.

Some great vertical grain. Lovely brown color and great form. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob.

James - nice work on your vase! Sure is some pretty wood! Seems like there are always things you can do different when it comes to form but the real question is what would you do different... if anything... and then incorporate that into your next piece. Above all else - keep having fun with it! You have come a long way and I look forward to seeing what you turn next!

Thanks Steve, always appreciate your suggestions.

Well, whatever you call the wood, it sure is a pretty vase! :)

Dan, I agree, wood by any other name is still wood...;)

Excellent use of that wood, JD!! Your forms are really looking great and the grain orientation on this one adds much.

John thanks very much for the comment and especially thanks for the blank but next time maybe you could underline the "i".:rolleyes::)

That is some real pretty wood. I like the form

nice, cleanly turned vase & nice wood. Can't beat that!

Cal/Michelle, appreciate the comments, thanks.

Nathan Hawkes
06-03-2011, 9:40 AM
Whatever it is, it's pretty. I think it looks like plain old Butternut (aka "white" walnut, Juglans cinerea) not Bitternut hickory, but that's just my $0.02.

Cory Norgart
06-03-2011, 9:54 AM
Another beautiful turning James. Nice selection on the wood, beautiful grain and a nice finish. I really like the form.

David E Keller
06-03-2011, 3:37 PM
Nicely done, James. I like it as is even though I tend toward smaller bases lately. The lower curve looks pretty sweet, and that form really shows the grain in that piece of betternut(why not?).

Baxter Smith
06-03-2011, 9:57 PM
Very pretty wood and the shape fits the grain quite well. Nice looking vase James!