PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plans

Bart Leetch
02-08-2005, 9:47 PM
For a plan for an curved top three drawer cabinet with dimensions close to what this tables dimensions are 36w x 32h x 18d . I'll post this table picture just so you can see the size. I really want to make a cabinet with 3 drawers with the entire front curved like the apron of this table with the curved top to go in our hall way.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Becker
02-09-2005, 9:01 AM
Bart, do some sketches and have-at-it. If you only have the photo, a number of woodworking books give advise about how to "take off" from a photo and do a three-view.

That's a beautiful piece, by the way.

Ray Thompson
02-09-2005, 9:25 AM
Try doing a search for demilune tables, that might turn up something.

Ray

Matt Meiser
02-09-2005, 9:30 AM
David Marks built a similar table on a recent episode (I love Tivo!) His didn't have drawers, but you could probably add them fairly easily.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_26912,00.html

Matt Meiser
02-09-2005, 9:40 AM
David Marks has plans for sale on his web site:
http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/201.asp

Jeff Sudmeier
02-09-2005, 9:56 AM
Just an FYI on another board, someone posted that they were disapointed in the plans they Ordered From David Mark's site... They said it was pretty much a construction diagram with no details on how to actually build the peice. I am sure that some are better than others, but they said that they got more information from the DIY site than the plans.

Take it with a grain of salt... Jeff

Carl Eyman
02-09-2005, 9:57 AM
Woodsmith some six or seven years ago had an end table with a bowed front. It included two drawers - one above the other; so it was a chest on legs; so to speak. While this is not what you are looking for, The method of making the drawers was clever, and fool-proof enough for me to accomplish. I looked at their web site, but couldn't find it. I have the issue; so I can identify it for you when I get down to my shop. Let me know if you want a picture, and I'll see what I can do.

Carl Eyman
02-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Bart: I went back to Woodsmith's site and looked in their back issues feature, and , sure enough, there it is in issue 121. They have a picture of it (small) but the issue seems to be out of print. Get in touch if I can be of more help.

John Gregory
02-09-2005, 2:58 PM
The only plan that I have ordered from David Marks is for his miter sled. And for the most part it is a CAD printout. I guess they must figure with the information on DIY.NET and the show itself, the plans don't need instruction. I have used NYW plans too, and they are much better, better drawings and instructions.

John

Lance Alldrin
02-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Norm built a table just like this (no drawers but could be adapted into the design) a week or so ago on New Yankee Workshop. check out their website.

Lance

Keith Christopher
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Bart, go with it yourself. The table should be about 30" high, the half circle should be an appealing size, perhaps 30-32" diameter, use your "golden rect" rule to make the aprons. perhaps bent laminations in a form, then taper some square 2x2 stock for the legs. I'd put a 3/4" to 1" over hang on the top.

just my 2c