PDA

View Full Version : Jorgensen Bench vise

john brenton
06-02-2011, 1:27 PM
I've been offered the larger Jorgensen quick action vise at a pretty decent price, and I'm thinking about it. I was wondering if anyone here has it, and if so, if you were able to put big jaws on it, and how it holds when doing end work.

Thanks.

Bruce Page
06-02-2011, 1:55 PM
John, I have the 4x10 Jorgensen. I’m not a vise aficionado but I have been happy with the Jorgensen.

Joseph Klosek
06-02-2011, 2:02 PM
I used one for 2 years while I was in school and it seems to work as well as any other vise.

I really liked the quick action to open and close with just a 1/4 turn.

It may take a little to get used to, but they seem to be quite good. I liked it and I have a Record 52 1/2 now.

If I did not already have the Record when I made my bench I would have used a Jorgensen.

J.P.

Kelly Mulheren
06-02-2011, 2:10 PM
I have that vise. It's OK. But if I could get the full purchase price back, I'd go with something else. The action is good but racking is a problem. A review in Fine Woodworking in the last couple of years found the same thing with the Jorgensen.

john brenton
06-02-2011, 2:11 PM
Thanks Kelly,

That's what I wanted to know. I'm still too intimidated to build what I REALLY want to build, and the Jorgenson sounded temptin (made in USA ya know). But if it's going to be something I don't love, then that doesn't make any sense.

I have that vise. It's OK. But if I could get the full purchase price back, I'd go with something else. The action is good but racking is a problem. A review in Fine Woodworking in the last couple of years found the same thing with the Jorgensen.

Bruce Page
06-02-2011, 2:52 PM
Well, speaking only for MY Jorgenson.. I can extend it all the way out and I get very little movement in either the vertical or horizontal. From a mechanical engineering standpoint I don’t see how it could be much more rigid without going to an elaborate bearing design.