PDA

View Full Version : Groomsman gift Ideas?

Andrew Gibson
06-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi all. I will be getting married an just about a year. We have been doing a lot of wedding planning and I have started thinking about groomsman gifts... I have 6... How can women have so many friends that are required to be in weddings.

But I digress, and mean no offense to the fairer sex.

So I have been thinking about this one and the first thing that came to mind were flasks... then I thought maybe a nice pocket knife... Then I cam across pocket watch/knife sets and liked that idea... problem is because there are so many cost becomes a concern.

I would like to get the guys something nice that will last, but also keep the price under $50... and as far under that as possible without being a total cheapskate, but they all know I make furniture currently for a living so I'm not made of green.

Any ideas would be appricated... one good thing about getting a jump on this stuff is I have time on my side.

Bob Riefer
06-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I was similarly stuck with the "yikes, how do I come up with 6 groomsmen" issue... In the end, I talk to one of them 10 years later, since the other 5 were real stretches for me. Shrug.

Anways, I got everyone an old style pocket watch with their initials engraved. I didn't think anyone would use it, but thought it'd be the type of thing that they'd see in their drawer every now and again and remember their part in an important day. The cost was in line with what you're looking to do I believe.

edit: If I were to have the same issue today (now being a budding woodworker) I'd make each a keepsake box. Everyone needs a place to keep stuff, and the personal touch would be very nice. Order an initials plate for the top of each one.

Prashun Patel
06-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing since this is in the Off Topic forum, you mean to purchase a gift, but I submit this:

Make them humidors. Fairly straightforward to build - especially when done in bulk. You can make them as fancy or simple/elegant as your time permits, and you can add a personal touch to each if you wish.

Anyway...

David Surette
06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
If you have a lathe you could turn pen and pencil sets. That should be well below $50 each.

Chris Kennedy
06-02-2011, 12:06 PM
For my groomsmen, I got beer glasses.

Chris

David Weaver
06-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I would love to have gotten a pocketknife, but I think most people wouldn't know what to buy in a pocketknife so I wouldn't have wanted what I got, anyway.

Things I've received were:
* cufflinks and golf ball mark repair tool with a ball marker
* a multitool (i've used that quite a bit)
* some monogrammed travel caddy thing for toiletries

Pens and pencils I think would be a good gift - especially if the pen has some uniqueness in style and a good quality ink refill in it

Jim Rimmer
06-02-2011, 1:07 PM
For my groomsmen, I got beer glasses.

Chris

Is that anything like beer goggles? :D

Jim Rimmer
06-02-2011, 1:07 PM
+1 on the keepsake box with a nice engraved metal plate on top with their name, and maybe the reason or at least the date.

Andrew Gibson
06-02-2011, 2:09 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas... I like the idea of some form of box... no one smokes so a humidor may not be quite right but a keepsake box to hold a small gift may work... I know several guys that turn pens so I may have to get together with them and see if I can turn something... I know what you mean about knives David, I am quite picky about knives myself but love a good pocketknife. I am liking the idea of a watch knife combo more as a dress accessory then anything else. I have always liked a 3 piece suit as well and we may go with something like that for the wedding, at which point there would be a place to wear the watch set....

I like the idea of beer glasses, as I have a small collection, but not all of them are beer drinkers...

Like I said I have time to think about it and search... and maybe make something.

Greg Portland
06-02-2011, 2:53 PM
So I have been thinking about this one and the first thing that came to mind were flasks... then I thought maybe a nice pocket knife... Then I cam across pocket watch/knife sets and liked that idea... problem is because there are so many cost becomes a concern.A few thoughts:

1) Forget the engraving, etc. unless it has the groomsman's name or initials on it. IMO, the engraving is $$$ and not worth the added expense in most situations.
2) There are a wide variety of flasks with differing quality levels. Don't buy flasks from the local engraver or memento store... they tend to be cheap garbage. Also, are your groomsmen really going to use a flask? Most people who are going to use one already own one (depends on age of course). Something to think about...
3) A good knife or multi-tool can be a popular option. I got each of my groomsmen a Leatherman & they were very popular (but I only had 3 in the party & I knew that all three would heavily use it).
4) No one said that all the groomsmen have to get the same thing. The gifts are a thank-you for helping out with the wedding, not a wedding memento. Really think about what your groomsmen are going to use. Maybe a few would like a nice Veritas marking gauge while the others would like a nice multi-tool, etc. You spending time picking out an appropriate gift speaks more than gathering everyone around and handing out pocket knives.

Matt Day
06-02-2011, 3:08 PM
I got married a year ago this Sunday, and I was faced with the same problem as I think all grooms are.

I thought about all the typical ideas like you've mentioned, knives, watches, glasses, flasks, etc, but none of them really worked for my groomsman. I could have gotten each of them something different but we didn't have much time to plan our wedding. Most of my guys are very outdoorsy and don't smoke (well, sort of don't smoke) or drink much, so flasks and humidors were out. I liked the idea of getting engraved Leatherman's for each of them, but they all already have one or two and don't need another - that might work for you though.

As Greg mentioned, I wanted to get something that they'd use. For instance, I got a small electrician-style tool tote with my initials engraved and never used it and have no idea where it is now. I ended up getting my guys a SS BBQ set kit with their initials engraved on the tote. It wasn't too expensive (less than $50 each IIRC) and I know they would all get some use out of it.

If I was to do it again and if I had the time you have, I would have probably gotten individual items for each person and I would have tried not to obsess on the fact that one might be more expensive than the others. Even that would have been tough though, because 4/5 of my guys are gearheads and obsess over the things they buy. I think I settled on a good happy medium.

Belinda Barfield
06-02-2011, 3:09 PM
Whatever you decide, contact your local laser engraver to have the items personalized.:)

Do any of them like to cook or grill/BBQ? If so you can probably pick up some scrap Corian or other solid surface from a countertop shop or cabinet shop. Make a nice cutting board with name or initials routed and filled. Route a drip channel on the back side around the perimeter. Material - free. You get to use your woodworking skills and tools and provide something useful and handmade.

A view from the other side . . . a good friend of mine is getting married on July 2. His fiance is from the Dominican Republic. She arrived in Savannah from the DR about a month ago. Other than my friend's sister, she knows two other women in the US. Guess who gets to be a bridesmaid? It's sort of interesting because we've barely ever had a conversation as I speak very little Spanish and she speaks very little English.

Bonnie Campbell
06-02-2011, 6:09 PM
I made 6 groomsmen pens, a groom pen and father of the groom.... The groom picked woods for their meaning for each guy. Of course the grooms pen had a piece of all the other woods incorporated in to it. The 7 pens went easy. That 8th was a booger! They were the first pens I had ever made. They were all very happy with the pens. So, it's a simple sounding idea and most everyone needs another pen ;)

Chris Padilla
06-02-2011, 7:21 PM
I received an engraved flask. I run across it every once in a while but it was a nice one.

Rich Riddle
08-19-2016, 9:21 AM
I purchased the groomsmen Fisher Space Pen AG7 models. They have different designs so you cans choose what you like. For the two aviators, I purchased the space shuttle models. We had four groomsmen and two of the four still carry their pens (the two aviators). In meetings people shamelessly try to "borrow" the pens, so keep an eye on yours if you purchase one for your use.

Matt Day
08-19-2016, 10:02 AM
A blast from the past here Rich. I had to reread my post to remember what I got my groomsmen!