PDA

View Full Version : Black Sundae

Tim Rinehart
06-02-2011, 9:56 AM
I finally got a chance to try out my photo tent and gradient paper, with some mixed results. I think it will take some experimentation with my Pentax K10D to get results that exceed my little Olympus FE5010. Go figure. This one was with the Olympus.

Anyway, I wanted to get some shots before taking a couple pieces up for my first juried show entry along with pics of other stuff I've done that I've not yet posted.

I started this piece last year around the fall/early winter with a nice piece of black walnut with some interesting figure on one side and a thought about making a natural edge goblet from it. I completed all the elements how I sketched them out, but wasn't pleased with the shape of the vessel bottom. I had roughed out a piece of poplar for stem/finial..but it didn't seem to work. Also, the lid was taller and just didn't work.
I looked at it every once in a while for months, and finally about 2 wks ago decided to narrow the base of the vessel, shorten the lid and then lengthen the stem using blackwood.

I wish now that I had made the bulb a bit smaller diameter, but I like the stability offerred by it in current form. For 17" to top of finial, it's amazingly stable...good for a show. No time to change at this point...perhaps next one. I like these elevated vessels (elongated goblets and such) and got inspired to complete this one after seeing DD's great work with similar forms!

C&C welcome.

bob svoboda
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Super job, Tim. You used that beautiful wood to good advantage. Might agree about the bulb, but that would be a very minor nitpick.

John Keeton
06-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Tim, this is a very nice piece! I turned one very similar last year, but not nearly as tall. It should do well for you in the jury session, I would think. The profile of the cup is nice and the diameter of the bulb could be smaller, but what you have works well. One of the more difficult tasks for me is to avoid a flat area in the stem of the pedestal or finial. I prefer that there be only one point of minimum diameter with sweeping curves on either side of that point.

Bob Bergstrom
06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Really like how the edge and the tip of the finial blend together. Very nice piece and will be a winner in any show.

John Hart
06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Well...I think this piece is just stunning!! And here's why. First off, it looks like a chocolate sundae. I know from recent experiences, that the blub looking large in the pics, actually looks more appealing in person.

And in this case, it looks like a blob of fudge dripping from the luscious sundae. And the fudge dripping on the top looks delicious too!! This piece says "EAT ME!!!" :)

Outstanding job sir!!

Roger Chandler
06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice work, Tim!

David DeCristoforo
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
What Mr Hart said. I am not 100% on the finial which seems to terminate rather abruptly. But a fine piece of work nonetheless!

Sid Matheny
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Well I love this one! All it needs is a spoon beside it! Great job.

Sid

Tim Thiebaut
06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Very nice Tim!! I really like this piece, the varing heights of sides really makes it unique, and love the color changes in the main body. As David D said I am not %100 on the finial either, when I first saw it, it looked a little short for me. I hope you do well in the show , please let us know how you do!

Steve bellinger
06-02-2011, 6:42 PM
Very nice Tim, i really like turning these.:cool::cool::cool:

Dennis Ford
06-02-2011, 7:06 PM
Very nice work!

James Combs
06-02-2011, 7:28 PM
I have liked all the previous similar forms seen here on SMC but I think this one is a notch above them. A delicious piece.

David E Keller
06-02-2011, 8:58 PM
Nice work, Tim. I like the larger bulb on the pedestal, and the colors are great. The finial seems a bit short to me, but it's so hard to judge pieces like this from a photo. Good luck on the show.

Cory Norgart
06-02-2011, 9:02 PM
Nice Tim, I like the tone. The long base and the finial really make this peice deep, and the natural egde I beleive mnakes the whole thing.

Harry Robinette
06-02-2011, 9:17 PM
Tim
Beautiful,Just Beautiful I really don't think you'll have a problem with the jury show with turnings like this. This is a exceptional piece.

Tim Rinehart
06-02-2011, 9:25 PM
All,
A big thanks for the comments and feedback. I laughed at myself while turning the finial thinking what I always hear said "it's gonna look fatter when it's vertical" and went as far as I thought was needed...of course, I too agree I could have gone further after the fact.
John, your comment about the minimum diameter on the stem is spot on and a great comment to all for a smooth form...as I also am not crazy about that flat area in the top of the stem....it's on edge of what's acceptable, so hopefully won't get too many negative style points from judges.
If I had more time...I may have done some other things with the finial. Perhaps after this show, I'll play around with other options...or just start a new piece. These are fun and allow some nice expression without a big outlay of wood.

Jeff Nicol
06-02-2011, 9:59 PM
Tim, I thought the same thing as John with the sundae and with David on the finial being a littl short. But the bulb adds a balance to the piece more than stability, every piece you turn can be interpreted differently by everyone who looks at it, but it only takes one who can't live without it to make it a masterpiece!

Fit, Form, Finish and of cours "FUN" the 4 "F's" of woodturning!

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Tony Pridmore
06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Tim,

I'm sure that piece will do well for you in the show. It is beautiful. I especially like the bowl shape and wood choice.

Where's the show? Shoot me an email if you want to keep it private so there's not a run on the place.

-Tony

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Nice work Tim! Best of luck with the jury process! Keep us informed please!

Dan Forman
06-03-2011, 3:22 AM
Tim --- This is winner. There are always things we see that could have been done differently, I think you did well with it. Time to move on to the next one. Good luck with the show.

Dan