PDA

View Full Version : Shaper help with router collet

michael gates
06-02-2011, 9:42 AM
I bought a used 5hp grizzly shaper and it came with a router collet as shown.
I can not figure out how to tighten the bit. There is no way to get a wrench on the top so you can tighten from the bottom.I can hold onto the pulley and tighten it but I cant get it tight enough.
Maybe I am missing a thin wrench that has a bend in it to get it to work.

Or do I raise the router bit out of the collet enough to get the wrench on it, that would be around 5/8" to 3/4"

Jamie Buxton
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Are you missing a part? The collets for my routers have two parts -- a thing like you've shown, plus a nut that fits over it. To tighten the collet, you put a wrench on the nut.

scott vroom
06-02-2011, 10:46 AM
If you don't get a quick answer here you could try calling Grizzly tech support. How old is the shaper?

Bill ThompsonNM
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Does it have a threaded hole in the bottom? Some of them tighten with a threaded rod that goes down through the spindle. You tighten a nut against the spindle pulling the collet in, tightening it around the bit.

michael gates
06-02-2011, 1:22 PM
The Shaper is 10 months old.

Bill is right on how it works but i have to leave the bit raised up about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch to fit the wrench under it. It seems like it is held pretty good but it makes me a little timid to have the bit so far out of the collet.

Jeff Duncan
06-02-2011, 1:58 PM
My shaper works the same way except that there's no need for a wrench under the bit. Do you have any other way of locking the spindle when you tighten it? I would not be comfortable with 3/4" of shank exposed.

It should show in the manual how to perform this procedure, alternatively you may want to call Grizzly to confirm your doing things correctly.

good luck,
JeffD

Greg Portland
06-02-2011, 3:07 PM
Michael, definitely call Grizzly and see what they recommend. If you're doing everything correctly, I would suggest taking the wrench and bending it (two 90° bends so the head is 1" or so lower then the handle). I had to do a similar thing when I mounted my Hitachi router into the router table. The bent wrench made tightening bits a breeze.

michael gates
06-02-2011, 3:17 PM
I found a thin wrench that works good and keeps the bit low.

For some reason my shaper has a little different setup than is shown on the website picture I attatched. There is not two nuts on the bottom of the draw bar like shown in this pic. Mine only has the tapered nut and above that their is a lock ring where the big nut is shown on Grizzly web site.

The big nut would be nice so I could use two wrenches under the table to tighten the draw bar, I dont know why mine would be different unless Grizzly just made the change and added the second nut.

michael gates
06-02-2011, 3:28 PM
This will help show what I mean.