PDA

View Full Version : Micro Plane

Dan Stuewe
02-08-2005, 7:48 PM
Do you use any of the micro plane rasps or "drum" sander like tools. You know, the ones that look like cheese graters? Compared to a nice set of files, they seem like a good deal, and maybe better than a drum sander on a drill press for removing a bunch of material. But do they really work?

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=2206&objectgroup_id=222&catid=54&filter=micro%20plane

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5165

Thanks,

Scott Banbury
02-08-2005, 8:38 PM
I love 'em.

Cleaner cuts than even a brand new rasp.

Doesn't have to be carded and brushed all the time.

and

Doesn't shatter when you drop it on the floor. :D

Doug Shepard
02-08-2005, 8:58 PM
I've got a couple of the square and a couple of the round handheld ones, but not the drum type. They work very well, but they do take a small amount of practice. They're maybe a bit more sensitive than rasps as far as smoothness of cut depending on how much pressure you apply. They can cut pretty agressively and IMO you need to get a feel for how much wood to leave for cleaning up with a lighter touch, smoother rasps, files, or sandpaper. It's easy to remove too much until you've played with them a bit. I actually used one once to saw through a 1x6 in roughly a minute as a demo to my uncle who'd never seen them and asked me how well they cut.

Tom LaRussa
02-08-2005, 9:36 PM
Do you use any of the micro plane rasps or "drum" sander like tools. You know, the ones that look like cheese graters?
They're okay, I guess.

But for hard cheeses, i.e., parmesan, Romano, etc., I really prefer the tiny little hairs that the old-style graters give. Melts into anything warm, whether it be a sauce, soup, or what-have-you.

Wes Bischel
02-09-2005, 1:10 AM
Dan,

I have a few - round and flat. I have been very happy with them so far. Though I'm not too sure how long they will last when compared toa steel rasp.

Wes

Mark Singer
02-09-2005, 1:13 AM
I have a few...a rasp feels better to me...I like the weight and feel

Tyler Howell
02-09-2005, 8:18 AM
I have a couple of the hand planes. One for the shop and one for the kichen. The same units are about 20% more $ in the kitchen suppy shops.;)

Jim Becker
02-09-2005, 8:54 AM
Like Tyler, they are in the kitchen and in the shop...the latter is a recent purchase that I gloated about a month or so ago. The one in the kitchen has been wonderful for grating fresh parmisian cheese as well as making fine garnishes for vegies. Those in the shop will be put to use shaping wood when I get back on some carving work I have planned. The microplanes have been around for awhile and are a proven tool. Enjoy!

Don Carkhuff
02-09-2005, 9:22 AM
Dan,
I just saw the drum demonstrated at the Woodworking Show in Chicago last weekend. I was really impressed. The guy shoved a piece of pine into the drum and the wood melted away fast. At the base of the drum is a same diameter bearing so you can do "pattern" drum micro-planing. The only reason I didn't buy one was I was out of money and the credit card system they had didn't work. By the way, the surface of the pine left by the micro-plane was very very smooth. It looked like extra fine paper and you are good to go with finishing. I was impressed and seeing is believing.
I have a rat-tail micro-plane file and it works great.
Other favorite files I own are the Nickolson #49 and #50 rasps. I use them for cabriole legs. Wood disappears fast and the finish is like 50 grit paper. They don't clog up either. Rather expensive.

Jerry Clark
02-09-2005, 9:29 AM
I recently had a project where I used them in the drill press-- 60 small items with lots of curves cut on the band saw- some oak, cherry and walnut- Really helped clean up the edges and they did not get dull like I thought they would. Two thumbs up!:cool:

Dan Stuewe
02-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the posts. I had noticed them in the kitchen catalogs and wondered if they actually were the same and if one type of source would be cheaper than the other. I'll have to save my pennies and head over to the store soon!

James Carmichael
02-09-2005, 12:41 PM
The hand-tool version is a fancy name for a surform, which has been around forever. Very effective tool for stock removal/shaping. Unlike a plane or spokeshave, you don't have to worry nearly as much about grain orientation. I have a drawknife-shaped version of the microplane (I believe that's a brand name and not a tool-type). It works vey well at shaping curves.

James Carmichael
02-09-2005, 12:52 PM
I have a couple of the hand planes. One for the shop and one for the kichen. The same units are about 20% more $ in the kitchen suppy shops.;)

LOL Tyler. The rotary tool does look as if WoodCraft has located the lost warehouse of Ronco vegimatics, where's the ginsu knives?