PDA

View Full Version : While I'm waiting......

Richard Jones
06-02-2011, 6:34 AM
on my Monster articulated rig to arrive, I'd like to study up on HF technique, design, etc. I have the Mahoney vid on HF's and urns. What's your favorite video(s) for doing some smaller HF's? My first "official" piece will be an urn for my dad, who passed away last July. I know he'd be tickled to see some pretty wood in an object that came off of my lathe.......

Thanks, have a great day.

Rich

John Keeton
06-02-2011, 6:51 AM
Richard, I have not watched any videos on HF, but I have looked at hundreds of pics in the galleries, websites and WOW postings of major artists. For me, that was more informative. The actual "technique" will vary from person to person, but generally speaking, I think most folks hollow a section at a time - in other words, hollow down 1/4 to 1/3 of the depth, and carry that out to final thickness. I think you will find that nearly all wood moves when hollowed, and coming back to an area is risky. At least, that is what I do. The outside, of course, should be finish turned as much as possible - the very bottom being the obvious exception.

Sorry about your Dad. Turning an urn will be a special gesture for you. I have done a couple recently, and getting the necessary capacity will require a fairly deep form (10-11") or a fairly large horizontal form - either a fair challenge for one new to hollowing. I would suggest a few trial runs first.

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2011, 7:44 AM
Richard, sorry to hear about your Dad. Turning an urn for him sounds like a very nice tribute.

Like John, I have not watched any videos, or read any books for that matter, on hollowing. I picked up what I could from the talented turners here on the Creek and put in the hours figuring out how to create forms I was pleased with. Course, it really helps if you have a mentor willing to critique your work and offer ideas on how to improve. A big Thanks goes out to Keith Burns for being that person for me!

I also agree with John that everyone will use a different technique when actually hollowing. I change what I do depending on the form, the wood, roughing out or finishing. Best way to learn is to do... second best is to ask lots of questions!

Any idea when you are getting your new hollowing system?

John Keeton
06-02-2011, 7:46 AM
Dick, sending you a PM so as not to hijack this thread.

Dick Wilson
06-02-2011, 8:32 AM
Thanks John.

Richard Jones
06-02-2011, 9:07 AM
John,

Hijack all you want, I need info like that as well. If I remember correctly, I believe a 2" hole is required. I don't chase threads either, at least yet, but I am working on some brass fittings that can be epoxied in. Since I own a florist (my wife's baby, they don't let me do anything but books!), finding info from a funeral director isn't a problem. I'll try and do some research on that in the next day or so.

Steve, ordered it last week, not sure yet on delivery. I am in the process now of redoing my shop space so that my lathe is a bit more central. Moved my old bench top out this morning before work, a 5'x5'x2" slab of rock maple, and old 4-station top from a school shop class. Cut my old bench frame down and put in another old maple top, this one about 2'x6'x2". Quite the difference in space, for sure.

Now to rearrange my shaving curtains.................

Thanks for the help.

Rich

John Keeton
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Richard, I believe most funeral directors prefer to leave the cremains in the plastic bag in which they come from the crematory, so the opening needs to be large enough (and smooth) so as to permit the bag to be "snaked" into the urn. The ones I have done have an opening of about 1.5" or better, as I recall. 2" would be better.