PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper choices

Brian Hale
02-08-2005, 7:05 PM
I normally use Norton Garnet sandpaper. Is there a better choice? Aluminum oxide perhaps? Is there a point where the price outweighs the performance?

Brian :)

Tom LaRussa
02-08-2005, 9:33 PM
I normally use Norton Garnet sandpaper. Is there a better choice?
Sure is a better choice.

SCRAPERS!

Much cheaper and give a much better surface.

Sam Blasco
02-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Scrapers definitely have their place. But for a bunch of tasks where sandpaper makes sense.... Garnet is a sharp grain that cuts quickly when new and fractures quickly to keep it sharp, but doesn't last long. Good for wood and economical. Aluminum oxide is a harder grain and wears more evenly through its aging. It is more expensive, but also has more uses (metal, solid surface and wood). Aluminum Zirconia is very hard and sharp and better for dimensioning wood (80 grit and under). You can get all of these with a stearate additive to prevent loading. Great for finish sanding and sanding between coats, and working with resinous woods. I have found Klingspor to offer a great range of products at a good cost point. If you want to spend some more dough, Mirka's Abranet series is awesome for ROSs with dust collection. Doesn't matter what your hole pattern is and it can't clog. Really excellent for finish sanding or right before a light scraping, but it tears easily, so pick your spots when deciding to use it or not.
Hope this helps.

Ken Salisbury
02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
In my more than 55 yrs at this hobby I have used just about every type/brand sandpaper imaginable. Several years ago I discovered 3M Gold Stickit Rolls. Primarily found at automobile paint stores ( I have never seen it anywhere else). The rolls come in various grits 2 3/4" wide x 30 yds long (sticky back). Price per roll is approximately $30

3M also makes this paper in standard sheets, although I always buy the sticky back rolls. IMHO it is the best you can get.

Todd Burch
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Brian, I've found that I prefer the Norton 3X paper. It really does last longer. Todd.

Alan Turner
02-10-2005, 4:45 AM
A discussion of the "best" abrasive would fill volumes. I don't use a lot of abrasives, but sanding between coats of shellac is probalby my most common use. For that I recommend 3M's No. 216 Fre-coat. It is heavily sterrated, and outlasts other good papers (both by staying sharp and by not loading) about 5 to 1. For my edge sander, the Alumina Zirconia lasts an incredibly long time.

John Shuk
02-10-2005, 7:09 AM
I've recently been using paper called carobrundrum. (I don't know if I spelled it right.) It's Al Oxide but the backing and or the glue seems unique. I use it for alot of turning and it can be folded and creased but the crease disappears when you unfold it. I bought a bunch at a turning symposium at the recommendation of alot of people. the price isn't too bad either.

Wolf Kiessling
02-10-2005, 9:19 AM
I will just ditto Todd's posting. IMHO, the price difference of the Norton 3X is justified by the performance of this paper. By that I mean, it's ability to resist tearing and lasting power.

Brian Hale
02-10-2005, 4:09 PM
Thanks guys!

Got a good source for the 3X paper ? I like to buy sleeves of 50 or more sheets at a time as opposed to the packages i can get at HD/Lowes

Brian

Dennis McDonaugh
02-10-2005, 8:02 PM
Brian, I've found that I prefer the Norton 3X paper. It really does last longer. Todd.

I agree with you Todd, it does last 3 times as long. But it cost ten times as much as regular paper since I can only buy it in a three pack and I can buy regular in 25 and 50 packs. Do you have a source for contractor packs of 3X?

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 8:17 PM
I'll add my vote for the norton 3X. Really good stuff.

Signature line was removed - contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the SMC Terms of Service.

Brian Hale
02-10-2005, 9:51 PM
I did a Google and found these folks...

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11761

Has anybody delt with them before?

Brian

Bob Johnson2
02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I alway had great luck with the 3M but it's expensive (probably worth it though), Norton was okay and I've read the 3X is very good. I've been using mailorder Klingspore pretty much exclusivly of late, seems to last as long as the 3M. The type I've been using is their Aluminum Oxide Stearate. Most of my sanding is on softwoods and epoxy so gumming up is my major problem, hence the Klingspor.

Joseph N. Myers
02-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I vote for Klingspor, www.woodworkingshop.com (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/), 1-800-228-0000. They sell a large variety of sandpaper for different applications at a fairly good price. And they do sell some sandpaper that is paper backed but most are cloth backed which lasts a lot longer.

They are somewhat famous for taking end rolls (left overs) and turning them into "Bargain Boxes" (10 or 20 lbs), "Box of Belts" (qty of 30 or 36 in sizes of 2-1/2" x 16" to 4" x 24") and "End Rolls" for woodturners (20 lbs). The price of these are in the $20 to $30 range. I've gotten both the Bargain Boxes and Box of Belts and they been great. On the Bargain Boxes, you never sure what you get as far as size and grit but they are large pieces that can be cut to size. (Once as part of a shipment, I got a bunch of 3" wide stuff good for my Performax which I figure was worth almost $200, not bad for a $30 box).

If nothing else, order their catalog --- its full of info on sandpaper and things associated with sandpaper. And there is new stuff coming out every day.

BTW, when using sandpaper, you should also use one of big erasers (abrasive cleaning sticks) to clean the sandpaper ever so often --- it will extend the life/usefulness of the paper 3 to 5 times.

Regards, Joe