PDA

View Full Version : Three walnut platters for you.

Toney Robertson
06-01-2011, 8:30 PM
After my FIL passed away I wanted to do something in his memory. So I turned this platter out of some walnut that was harvested off of my father's land 40 years ago and donated it to his church for a communion platter. I told the minister that I wanted them to use it and not put it in a case somewhere and I hope they are. It is 12 1/4" x 1" - AO finish and buffed. I did not do the laser engraving.

The next one I made out of some of the same walnut for a wedding gift. Michael worked for me and he is one of the younger generation that gives me hope for the future of this country. An EXTREMELY intelligent kid (graduated with honors from Notre Dame) that is on his way to being a doctor along with his new wife. They both are currently in the Congo helping expand the knowledge of local doctors. It is 18" x 1" - AO and buffed. I am not as enamored with the laser work on this one. I wish I would have had them darken the letters but I hope they like it.

The story on the last one really makes one believe in fate. My 93 year old Mother called a number that used to belong to a friend of hers. Well, she did not get her friend but being of a different generation she struck up a conversation with the lady on the other end. After some talking they realized they knew each other. This lady was a nurse on the pediatric floor during the numerous times that I was in the hospital during my childhood and she remembered me!!! So I made this platter for her as a token of my appreciation and a symbol that her efforts helped me get to the point where I could use my hands to make it. 8 1/4" x 1" - AO and buffed.

All comments welcomed.

Toney

Fred Perreault
06-01-2011, 8:34 PM
What great looking lumber, and great form. Very nice, and a good backstory

Cory Norgart
06-01-2011, 8:36 PM
Very nice Toney, great looking wood, and the finishes look superb. I really like the stories behind the platters, great addition to the pictures, really lets you know what you are looking at and the true meaning of the art.

Michael James
06-01-2011, 8:38 PM
Totally awesome all the way around, and very beautiful wood to boot!
Michael

Steve bellinger
06-01-2011, 8:47 PM
Toney they are 3 really nice looking platers, and the wood you used are just awesome. Don't get any better.

Bob Bergstrom
06-01-2011, 8:49 PM
like all three. Beautiful wood and well done. Thanks for the sharing and keep up the great work.

John Hart
06-01-2011, 8:54 PM
The stories beat out the turnings, but the turnings are wonderful. What great group of gifts that will last and last. I tip my hat. You touched a lot of people, Toney.

John Keeton
06-01-2011, 9:18 PM
Toney, great history behind each of these, and the work you have done on them is really very nice. The wood on all three is striking, but particularly the last one - exceptional!

On the laser engraving, you could easily take some acrylic paint and rub it in the lettering. Since it is finished a damp cloth will wipe off any excess. I did that on a cherry platter that I had similarly engraved for an anniversary present. Just a thought.

David E Keller
06-01-2011, 9:35 PM
Beautiful work, Toney! It's guys like you that give turners a good name... Kudos!

Gary Conklin
06-01-2011, 9:38 PM
Toney, these are such great pieces. I have to admit I saw the first piece when you posted it on woodnet. I liked it so well it is saved in my favorites. Thoe others are just as nice!

Richard Madden
06-01-2011, 9:54 PM
Really nice stories and excellent work on all three. Thanks for sharing.

Donny Lawson
06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks like you have some great looking platters with some interesting stories to go with each. I love them all.

Steve Schlumpf
06-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Toney - beautiful work on each of these platters! Wonderful wood - especially the last platter! Thanks much for sharing your stories of inspiration behind the art!

Harry Robinette
06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Really nice turnings, Beautiful wood .But story behind the wood and the people that are involved was wonderful.

Baxter Smith
06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Great stories and beautiful wood! Turning something with a history and for a gift is the most enjoyable turning I do. Very well done and lovely to look at!

bob svoboda
06-02-2011, 9:13 AM
Love the work, the wood and the stories. Thank you for sharing, Toney.

Toney Robertson
06-03-2011, 1:13 PM
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

I always enjoy it when I am making something for someone that I know. It seems to make the work more enjoyable but if there is a deadline then it can be nerve wracking as well!!!

charlie knighton
06-03-2011, 1:53 PM
very nice, Toney