PDA

View Full Version : My DIY Design, 36 x 48

Sotos Patistas
06-01-2011, 1:12 PM
OK, it's not done, but it is working. Still some fine tuning to be done (a 1" square is a few thousandths off) and of course, there's dust collection, a proper top (I'm thinking MDF, with lots of 1/4" holes and blind nuts) and cable management.

FWIW, I bought the electronics from Keling (370 oz steppers, Gecko 540, 48 V Switcher PS) and supported rails and guides from Glacern. Initial plan was for 18" x 36", then I upped it to 36" x 36", then while I was at it, 36" x 48". Still waiting for the 48" Acme leadscrew, but I assembled it with what I had to get it working. Wood is primarily 1/2" & 3/4" and 1" birch ply and aircraft ply, and combinations thereof. Using Mach3 and probably CamBam.

And it's pretty darn straight. I had the luxury of laser cutting templates, and then routing and drilling from those.

I'm about $2500 into it, so for now, I have a very expensive key fob, far from perfect, but I had to see if I'd be able to machine aluminum.

So the next order of business is to start replacing some wooden parts of the beast with aluminum.

Anyway, I recommend the DIY approach for those who maybe can't justify the cost of a factory built machine. With all the parts available via eBay and such, and all the build threads online, all of my questions were already answered.

Cheers.196600196602196603196601

james mcgrew
06-01-2011, 11:09 PM
sotos, i love ingenuity, my hat is off to you.

build the machine to build the machine to build the machine, hey that is how i built my business !!

Sotos Patistas
06-02-2011, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the tip of the ol' chapeau, James.

I mostly borrowed design concepts from dozens of other machines. I ordered my first parts on 4/19, and was cutting on 5/30. The only real surprise is how much the darn thing weighs, I might call it "The Herniamaker".

Now it's time to learn me some new software, lol.

Lots of great work on this site to keep me motivated as I plod along.

james mcgrew
06-02-2011, 9:42 PM
i built my first verticle panel saw out of necessity !! i admire two woodworkers, 1) the ones who can build tools and 2) those who can make wood make music (which i cannot do)