PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blades

Brett Hoffman
06-01-2011, 10:18 AM
What bandsaw blades does everyone recommend?

I have a Ridged 14” bandsaw. I was still using the blade that it came with it and did a lot of cutting with it over the past two years. I knew the blade was on its last leg and then the other night my wife.... er I mean.... I wasn’t paying attention and hit a nail. Oops. Now the blade is definitely gone. :)

I’m pretty sure we won’t be doing a lot of re-sawing for a long time, we mostly cut out curves and such.

Thanks!

Kent A Bathurst
06-01-2011, 11:22 AM
From Mark Duginske's book: Get a 1/4" 6 TPI skip tooth, and if you do tight, fine curves, a 1/8" 14 TPI std tooth. With no resaw plans, that ought to take care of it pretty well.

As far as brand names, there's a lot of good ones out there. I have 1/4" Olson and Lenox, and just tossed a worn-out 1/4" from Highland - happy with all of them. Other guys here have their favorites as well - I wouldn't balk at any of the top brands.

Once you put a new, good blade on there, you will almost certainly give your self a head-slap and say "What was I thinking? Why didn't I change out that blade a long time ago?"

If you have future plans on cutting nails, then you'll want to have spares on-hand. :D

Rod Sheridan
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi, in small blades I have a 1/4' X 3TPI. 1/4" X 6TPI, 1/2" X3TPI and 3/4" X 2/3TPI.

Look on the internet or in the yellow pages and find a saw shop that makes bandsaw blades.

They will have a far better selection of tooth types and pitches, and they are better blades at less than retail costs.

I also have a 1/2" bimetal blade that's used for material with nails in it.......LOL.............Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
If yr cutting curves mainly, then get a 1/4" blade. If yr cutting thick stock, get a lower tpi blade since it'll cut more efficiently. If yr cutting thin stock, use a higher tpi blade, since it'll leave a cleaner cut. If yr cutting logs and green wood, then get a low tpi blade with a raker set. If yr resawing, get a 1/2" blade for yr saw.

Jim Rimmer
06-01-2011, 1:56 PM
Read this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!

Very good information.

Bruce Wrenn
06-01-2011, 9:17 PM
For me, it's a 1/4", 6TPI, hook pattern, bi-metal blade. This is my "do everything blade." Timber Wolf blades are sharp out of the box, But I find they dull quickly. Check with Woodcraftbands. com. But remember they are closed on Fridays. Great blades at great prices and great customer service.

Bill Bukovec
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I just look in my book I got from Suffolk Machinery.

They have the blades listed by function ( green wood, resawing, general curve cutting).

You can actually talk to a person when you call!

Bill

David Hawxhurst
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
i mainly use a 1/4" 6tpi either a starrett or morse band stock. different sources. usually buy 3-6 at a time they are pretty cheap.

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 2:26 PM
Are we talking about blade specs, make of the band stock or the seller?

For blade specs if you aren't resawing a 1/4" 6 TPI skip tooth blade will probably be used the most good as long as the stock is at least 3/4" thick. I might suggest you consider a bi-metal blade although it may cost 2-2.5 times what a carbon blade will cost it will outlast it by 8 times or so.

Blade (bandstock manufacturers) Starrett and Lenox are my two favorites

Suppliers, look for a local industrial supply they often can give you better prices and quality stock BUT check them against some online outlets since some of them inflate the price for non-commercial accounts. Since it isn't just the stock but the welding is important there are three web/mail order places that have shown over tie they do good welds and have good prices. Spectrum supply and woodcraftbands.com both do good welds, Iturra Designs is also very good BUT you have to call them.