PDA

View Full Version : Malware on Linux

Curt Harms
06-01-2011, 9:40 AM
I decided to start a new thread rather than put this in the ongoing "should I get a Mac?" thread. Linux has a rep for being malware proof, and it is highly resistant but here is an instance of what happens when users are too trusting and have superuser/root privileges:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771265&highlight=gnome-look

I can hear Bryan M. and Paul C. now :D

Bryan Morgan
06-01-2011, 6:27 PM
There is definitely malware on Linux. I have submitted a number of suspect files myself to AV companies. Thankfully I keep my servers pretty tight so nothing has run, but I see people getting into FTP and trying things and dropping suspect files. I've submitted a few elf binaries.

paul cottingham
06-01-2011, 9:25 PM
You pickin' on me? :-)

It boils down to the same old thing "users are stupid." I used to drill that into my students for years. It is gratifying to run into one every now and then that reamrks that they thought I was exaggerating....until they got into the real world. I have had end users who could get a virus on a pocket calculator.

My wife's mac got some crud on it the other day...caused some consternation, let me tell you. My ancient Linux distro (ubuntu 9.0 or so) was unscathed. Unrelated, I know, but I'm just sayin'.