PDA

View Full Version : Gloat from an auction

Derek Gilmer
06-01-2011, 9:19 AM
Went to check out a local auction this weekend and got some pretty nice deals. Some other people at the auction got even better deals. I didn't show up with the cash to capitalize on the really good deals. A mistake I won't make again :D

Here are my gloats, sorry for the horrible pics. I snapped them on the way to work this morning with the ole iphone.
1. Large oak top (about 2" thick) workbench, with 1/4 steel frame under it: $15
2. Decent size pile of walnut planks perfect for some jewelry boxes I want to make: $12
3. Box with some patter duplicators and 3 wood tap/screw making kits (1/2", 1.25" and 1.5"): $15
4. Large walnut board, free for helping someone load a purchase.

Some other really nice gloats that aren't mine :(
$145 for 3000 bf of rough cut walnut like the large board on the work bench above, probably 2500 left after waste as some was checking toward the end. Guy who won this also got the vises below and was ready to bid up to 1000 I think.

3 large pattern makers vises, Emmert I think, $85 to $65 each. I would have bid here but the guy bidding on them had very deep pockets. All I would have done is cost him more money. And he was a really nice guy so I saw no reason to do such a thing.

$316 for a 14 foot (yep 14 ft) home made lathe with lesson 3 hp motor, speed control and reverse switch with literally a wall full of tools.

$2100 for Collection of 171 different carving tools. Many of them in good shape and from various good makers from the names I could see.

Mike Cruz
06-01-2011, 4:41 PM
Good for you, Derek! My first auction was a huge success. All the ones since have been a disaster. People spending way too much for stuff that is marginably decent.

Frank Guerin
06-01-2011, 5:10 PM
Congratulations. I gave up on auctions. I think they spray something in the air to get people excited. The last one was the best and only two old guys (my age) and one women almost came to blows over a dented coffee pot.