PDA

View Full Version : Hook and Loop and Kreg Drawer Jig

Harish C. Mathur
02-08-2005, 2:55 PM
Had a couple of questions:

1) I have a PC 6" random orbital sander that needs to have the pad replaced. The old pad uses adhesive back sand paper which I still have lots of... I'd like to get the hook and loop pad. Will this sand paper work with it or should I plan on ordering the hook and loop paper?

2) Does anyone have experience with the Kreg Drawer Jig? I was watching a Marc Adams video on making cabinets and it looked like the jig he used for hanging drawer slides.... looked like it really simplified the install process. I was thinking about ordering one.

Thanks !

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 3:08 PM
On question one...you'll need a PSA pad to use PSA disks and a hook and loop pad for hook and loop disks. Conceivably, you could make a disk with H&L on one side and smooth on the other to act as an adapter for your ROS, but that will add a little "cushion" to the sander which may or may not be acceptable to you.

Harish C. Mathur
02-08-2005, 4:18 PM
On question one...you'll need a PSA pad to use PSA disks and a hook and loop pad for hook and loop disks. Conceivably, you could make a disk with H&L on one side and smooth on the other to act as an adapter for your ROS, but that will add a little "cushion" to the sander which may or may not be acceptable to you.
Jim, thanks, that's kind of what I figured... but it doesn't hurt to ask! I'll just plan to order some hook and loop sandpaper.

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2005, 5:14 PM
Had a couple of questions:

2) Does anyone have experience with the Kreg Drawer Jig? I was watching a Marc Adams video on making cabinets and it looked like the jig he used for hanging drawer slides.... looked like it really simplified the install process. I was thinking about ordering one.

Thanks !

I don't have any personal experience using the Kreg drawer Jig, but I decided I wanted one after watching the Kreg demo at the local woodworkers show last December. Made mounting the slides a piece of cake with the magnets built into it to hold the slides in place. I didn't go ahead and buy it. Will wait until I get to the point of actually building the kitchen cabinets. One last tool purchase to keep off the LOML's radar. Jim.

Harish C. Mathur
02-08-2005, 6:28 PM
I don't have any personal experience using the Kreg drawer Jig, but I decided I wanted one after watching the Kreg demo at the local woodworkers show last December. Made mounting the slides a piece of cake with the magnets built into it to hold the slides in place. I didn't go ahead and buy it. Will wait until I get to the point of actually building the kitchen cabinets. One last tool purchase to keep off the LOML's radar. Jim.
Jim, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and order one. It's $30 at Amazon. BTW, the video was pretty interesting. Marc builds the faceframes for his cabinets first and then builds the carcase. This is counter intutive to me. But after watching him, it makes a lot of sense. I'm planning on using his technique to build a stereo cabinets with door panels made of perf metal (for air circulation) and to keep my three kids away from all the equipment knobs.