PDA

View Full Version : Got a few pieces started today.....

Matt Hutchinson
05-31-2011, 7:30 PM
....and I lost a few pounds of water weight. Man, what tough day to be in the shop.

Anywho, I got to diggin' through my wood stash and came up with a couple nice pieces of birch. I got the cherry form hollowed, but wasn't able to get to the others. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. :) And yes, the piece in the second picture is standing right side up. :confused:

Hutch

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2011, 7:44 PM
Yup - was a warm one here today also!

Nice work on all the forms! Looking forward to seeing them finished!

Jamie Donaldson
05-31-2011, 8:32 PM
What lathe is this you're using Matt- looks like a big ol' monster!

James Combs
05-31-2011, 8:37 PM
Those are going to be some nice looking forms when completed, be sure to post the completed versions. BTW did you make your own steady rest?

John Keeton
05-31-2011, 8:55 PM
Hutch, those look fine from here!! I don't mind the sweat and tears - just don't care much for throwing blood in the mix. So, keep that sweat out of your eyes and be careful!

David E Keller
05-31-2011, 9:37 PM
Looks like some pretty wood, Hutch! I like where you're headed with that last form too.

Baxter Smith
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice looking wood and forms! Hope tomorrow is a little cooler for you.

Michael James
05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Those are going to be NICE! but...am I the only one going to work... you know the job anymore? sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. Seems like everyone's off or retired!:eek:

Kathy Marshall
05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Looks like you've got some nice pieces going there! Nice forms and wood, but I really like the wood on the last one. Look forward to seeing the finished products!

Matt Hutchinson
06-01-2011, 5:49 AM
Well, up and at 'em. A little coffee, quiet time, and then hollowing.

Jamie: It's an machine from pre-1900 made by Rollstone Machine Company. Here's a little more about it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?139987-My-Lathe-Old-Iron&highlight=

James: I had Jeff Nichol make the steady rest for me.

Michael: Hehe. I'm at a challenging point: trying to really move my woodworking/woodturning business forward. I actually cut back on my part time job a few months ago. Go go gadget Michigan economy!

Hutch

John Hart
06-01-2011, 6:25 AM
I'm looking forward to what you're going to do with that one in the second pic, Hutch. I've got a form very similar and can't wrap my head around what to do with it. Perhaps inspiration is on the way!