PDA

View Full Version : What Glue For Acrylic

Dean Fowell
05-31-2011, 7:08 PM
Hey all,

I'm doing some more acrylic and wanted know what people are using for glue ?

Thanks

Larry Bratton
05-31-2011, 8:39 PM
Dean:
I think I have tried most everything. Weldon #3,#4 and #16. Also tried one from Acrylite called Acrifix . Of late, I have been using some UV curable that is cured with a black lite. The Acrifix 00117 is Methylene chloride free but is a lot slower than Weldon #3 which contains it. The Methylene chloride is a dangerous chemical and you need to be careful using it. Weldon 4 is the same stuff except slower. Weldon 16 is like thick syrup but is pretty fast. The UV curable is optically clear but you will need a good blacklite to cure it. All of this stuff is tricky to work with and will craze extruded acrylic in short order.

John J Wang
06-01-2011, 2:48 AM
I've used Weldon #4 and Tap's acrylic cement a few times. Both has very high vapor pressure. They literally squirt themselves out of the bottle. Taps has a video on how to use the liquid cement.

Like Larry has mentioned, the cement will mar unprotected surface. The next time I join acrylic, I will give #16 a try, or even the UV stuff. I don't think I glue enough acrylic to become proficient using the #3 and #4. with a squeeze bottle. It's a delicate balancing act between keeping most of the cement in the bottle while letting just enough out into the joints, but not too much to mar the surfaces.

Mike Null
06-01-2011, 5:59 AM
When gluing clear acrylic I use Weldon 3 or 4 and get very good results. I just finished 12 awards and all looked great. I think it just takes some practice and knowing that more is better than less.

Larry Bratton
06-01-2011, 9:01 AM
When gluing clear acrylic I use Weldon 3 or 4 and get very good results. I just finished 12 awards and all looked great. I think it just takes some practice and knowing that more is better than less.

"knowing that more is better than less."-I tend to disagree with that statement. I have found that small quantities of #3 are usually sufficient. I have used wayyyy too much in the past and found it not necessary. I suppose it depends on the application though. I do agree that it takes practice. Some folks use a syringe for joint application, I've done that, but I find that a small artist brush works very well and tends to be easier to control.

Mike Null
06-01-2011, 9:25 AM
Larry

I find that sparse use leads to a bubbly look at the joint. I think that is a flaw. I want a perfectly clear joint with no trace of glue or bubbles. Too little can make a weak joint that won't stand up to shipping.

I should say that I'm dealing exclusively with awards when I'm doing this so other applications may be different.

John Frazee
06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I use cement from Acrylic Idea Factory purchased from any of the trophy suppliers. I use a medical syringe to apply it. I draw it out of the can with the syringe and squirt where I need it. After I put the two pieces together I normally do a small dose across the backside for added strenghth. I then shoot the rest back into the can. As someone said it practically jumps out of the can. Try to keep the lid on as it evaporates rapidly. BTW, I have used the same syringe for several months. I guess the way dope heads do!

Mike Null
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
There is a photo in this thread showing a no bubble joint---actually two.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158044-Glueing-acrylic-that-has-polished-edges