PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade

Mike Stanton
02-08-2005, 2:13 PM
I have an 14 inch jet bansaw and I would like to put a 3/4 inch blade so I can do some resawing. I have the riser but have not put in on yet. Thanks for any help Mike :confused:

Rod Torgeson
02-08-2005, 2:21 PM
Mike......Call Suffolk Machinery at 1-800-234-7297 and tell them what you have, what type of sawing you want to do and they will fix you up with the right blades. They probably know the length of blade you need. A satisfied customer. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

Doug Shepard
02-08-2005, 2:36 PM
Mike
I've got the same BS w/ riser. You'll need a 105" blade. There should be one blade that's in the box with your riser kit. Can't remember what type Jet puts in the kits - seems like maybe a 6 TPI ?? If so, that's a few too many teeth for resawing. If it's only a 3 or 4 TPI, it will make a good practice blade for resawing on scrap.
As far as blade width goes - while your saw will handle 3/4" I've seen some persuasive arguments that say 1/2" is a better width for resawing on a 14" BS.
For resawing, IMHO you can't go wrong with a Highland Hardware Woodslicer blade.

Maurice Ungaro
02-08-2005, 3:32 PM
What Doug said. Additionally, Highland Hardware has the Wood Slicer, which in the 1/2" configuartion, is da bomb for 14" machines.

Maurice

James Carmichael
02-08-2005, 3:58 PM
What Doug said. Additionally, Highland Hardware has the Wood Slicer, which in the 1/2" configuartion, is da bomb for 14" machines.

Maurice

Just to confuse you further, Iturra Designs sells the same blade (Woodslicer) under the name "BladeRunner", and charges less for them, too.

You'd likely want a 3-TPI hook, 105". I just bought a 3/4" Timberwolf AS-S from Suffolk Machinery for resawing, haven't mounted it yet as I use 1/2" 3-TPI Starretts as general-purpose.

Here's suffolks selection chart for Timberwolf blades:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/silicon_steel_slection.asp

Mike Cutler
02-08-2005, 9:40 PM
Mike. I have the same Bandsaw that you do, and was never able to get consistent results with a 3/4" blade. I found the best results( read as consistent ) were with the 1/2", 3 TPI Woodslicer Blade from Highland Hardware.
I tried the Timbewolfs, the Olson's and the Woodcaft brands, with and with out the riser, but the Woodslicer still gave me the best results.
The stock tension spring on your Bandsaw is way too light. Get the Cobra Coil Spring to jack up the spring force. Or call Louis Iturra at Iturra and order one along with his catalog, which is worth the price of the spring alone. I checked the stock spring on mine and it was only applying about 8500 pounds of spring force at max.
One design flaw that will rapidly rear it's ugly head with your saw is the tension rod. The end of the rod is "pointed" enough that it will eventually drill a hole thru the frame. The Rod is also an odd metric equivalent. The material for the rod and the square nut, is light enough that they will strip out in time. I replaced mine with a 3/8" standard thread, and made my own square nut.I also put a small plate of steel under the screw where it made contact with the frame
I replaced the stock guides with a set of Carter's and made a 3/4" spacer to position the lower guide set closer to the underside of the table, much like the Delta, this also required longer screws. I think they were 8mm.
Be prepared to do a little "shimming" with that Riser Block. I tried two of them and both required shimming. The faces were not parallel to each other on either block I tried. No biggie really, just something to look out for.
I've also found that my Bandsaw is capable of cutting very thin slices off the face of a piece of material consistently but falls flat on it's face if I am trying to cut 2, 3/4" bookmatched pieces from a single piece of material. I don't know why, it just does.
Good luck and have some fun, oh yeah, resawing makes lots of dust
:eek: