PDA

View Full Version : About those new Years resolutions... Smoking....

Chris DeHut
02-08-2005, 2:07 PM
Well,

As I stated in that post about new years resolutions, I quit smoking. Since 01/01/05, I had about 10 smokes. Since 2 weeks ago today, zero.

Do I want a smoke, you betcha! Holding strong though :eek:

How are you other folks doing with your resolutions?

Chris DeHut

John Glennon
02-08-2005, 2:14 PM
Hi Chris,

Good for you.

i am on the "patch" i still want to smoke. I love to roll one of the patches and smoke it. I am a real Bit*h without the smoke.

Best regards

John G

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 2:38 PM
Chris...keep it going! Smoke-free is one of the most wonderful things you can accomplish for both your own health and for the health of those around you. (Buy tools instead... ;) )

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 2:40 PM
Chris and John,

Good for you! Anyone who quits smoking has my respect! You all have the right to smoke, but I love to see every person who quit.

My uncle quit smoking and as part of the way that he did it, he made a list of things he could do if he quit smoking. It put it in the bathroom, his truck, work truck, break room everywhere he smoked...

It included
1) Be there for my grandchildren's wedding
2) Save enough money to take my wife on a vacation she deserves
3) Grow old with my wife
4) Not have to leave the party to have a smoke
5) Not have to go out in the cold to smoke
6) Will not stink like smoke

He quit before Christmas and is still going strong. He said that everytime he wanted a smoke real bad, he thought of missing his grandchildren's wedding, that did it for him.

Way to go guys! You have my respect!

Chris DeHut
02-08-2005, 3:17 PM
LOL! I tried the Gum - I really like the gum, so much so that I just kept on chewing it till I finally gave up and went back to smoking.

I tried the patches. It didn't take too long before I was smoking and wearing the patches - don't try to smoke the patch - it will taste horrible. :p

This time I am using the inhaler thing from Nicotrol. The doctor got me a prescription and I am glad I went this route. I suppose it is just as bad as smoking, but it is the best "bridge" device I have used yet. I am not going through the "Crankies" yelling at everything and everyone (good thing as I don't need that while on camera).

So, if the patches look like a failure, see your doctor right away and try the inhaler things - so far so good - only screamed at the camera man once in two weeks :)

Hi Chris,

Good for you.

i am on the "patch" i still want to smoke. I love to roll one of the patches and smoke it. I am a real Bit*h without the smoke.

Best regards

John G

Glenn Clabo
02-08-2005, 3:58 PM
So, if the patches look like a failure, see your doctor right away and try the inhaler things - so far so good - only screamed at the camera man once in two weeks :)
Hey Chris...
Keep it up. Smoking (both the self inflicted and passive) is one killer of a habit. It's worth everything you do to stop...but please don't hurt the camera man.

BTW...Great job on the doors DVD!

Teresa Jones
02-08-2005, 7:23 PM
Chris,

I celebrated my 14th year smoke free in January of this year.

It is the best thing I have ever done for myself, not to mention many others in my life.

I think the first requirement is that YOU have to be ready to quit, for yourself. Any other reason is just not as important.

I went to a doctor for help. We did a few "psychological" exercises and then he prescribed a mild dose of high blood pressure medication to easy the anxiety and irritability. It was a transdermal patch, but it was not nicotine.

I quit cold turkey and haven't had one since January 16, 1991.

A few things I incorporated in to my life to help at the beginning.

DO NOT hang out with people who smoke until much later in this endeavor.

DO NOT sit in a restaurant where you can see or smell people smoking.

I was so accustomed to smoking while enjoying a beverage, I gave that up until I was more confident in my nonsmoking status.

I used the nicotine gum for the first six months and then the doctor gradually reduced the amount I could chew.

Pay attention to your environment and don't let any smoke in it, at all.

The one statement I keep close to my heart is "I am only one cigarette away from being a smoker again - don't go there"

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I don't want anything to interfer with my DVD subscription!!!!!

Take care.

TJ

Chris DeHut
02-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey Chris...
Keep it up. Smoking (both the self inflicted and passive) is one killer of a habit. It's worth everything you do to stop...but please don't hurt the camera man.

BTW...Great job on the doors DVD!

Hi Glenn,

The camera man is safe for the moment (I am on break between takes). Thanks for the compliment on #13 - being #13, I was a little nervous about that one :)

Chris

Jack Hogoboom
02-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Chris,

I quit over 10 years ago. I was lucky to get to an American Lung Association course right after smoking through a three-week battle with Broncitis. One of the tips they teach was to reward yourself for milestones along the way. For example, if you make it a week, a month, etc.

What does it for me is to count the number of cigarettes I haven't smoked and how much money I've saved as a result. I was up to 2 1/2 packs a day before I quit. That's 182,500 cigarettes I didn't smoke over the past 10 years. (Imagine what that ashtray would look like. :eek: ). At $6.00 a pack (a price I saw locally just the other day), that's $54,750 in cigarettes I haven't purchased. That money can (and probably will someday) buy a lot of tools!!!!!

Jack

Chris DeHut
02-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi Teresa,

I know what you mean about "just 1 smoke" away from being a smoker again. I have been down that mistaken path way too many times over the years of trying to quit.

Luckily for me, in my circle of friends, I am about the last smoker. So avoiding it isn't too difficult. The hardest part (other than the jitters, withdrawl etc.) is that I really enjoy smoking and I do miss it. So far, everytime I get weak and get the urge to run over to the gas station to pick up a pack, I have been able to fight it off.

My fingers are crossed (except while filming) that I can make it this time, if not for me, for everyone else in my life including my customers.

Chris

Chris,

I celebrated my 14th year smoke free in January of this year.

It is the best thing I have ever done for myself, not to mention many others in my life.

I think the first requirement is that YOU have to be ready to quit, for yourself. Any other reason is just not as important.

I went to a doctor for help. We did a few "psychological" exercises and then he prescribed a mild dose of high blood pressure medication to easy the anxiety and irritability. It was a transdermal patch, but it was not nicotine.

I quit cold turkey and haven't had one since January 16, 1991.

A few things I incorporated in to my life to help at the beginning.

DO NOT hang out with people who smoke until much later in this endeavor.

DO NOT sit in a restaurant where you can see or smell people smoking.

I was so accustomed to smoking while enjoying a beverage, I gave that up until I was more confident in my nonsmoking status.

I used the nicotine gum for the first six months and then the doctor gradually reduced the amount I could chew.

Pay attention to your environment and don't let any smoke in it, at all.

The one statement I keep close to my heart is "I am only one cigarette away from being a smoker again - don't go there"

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I don't want anything to interfer with my DVD subscription!!!!!

Take care.

TJ

Jon Olson
02-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Chris,

Having never been a smoker, I don't know what your going through, but we creekers are behind you and anyone else whose going through this battle.
Working in the medical device industry especially relating to blood flow and peripheral artery disease (legs and arms) so many of our patients we treat are smokers. Please if for nothing else quit to live a longer, EASIER (disease-free) Life.

Good luck and we're behind you 100%!!!

Jon

Chris DeHut
02-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Jack, That's a lot of smokes!

I had to chuckle when you mentioned the size of the ashtray. Outside the shop door is a large metal garbage can, this was used for my butts. While it got emptied every week or so, I could see the pile of butts building up (and the stink). Perhaps I should now visualize the pile of cash I am generating by not smoking :)

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I quit over 10 years ago. I was lucky to get to an American Lung Association course right after smoking through a three-week battle with Broncitis. One of the tips they teach was to reward yourself for milestones along the way. For example, if you make it a week, a month, etc.

What does it for me is to count the number of cigarettes I haven't smoked and how much money I've saved as a result. I was up to 2 1/2 packs a day before I quit. That's 182,500 cigarettes I didn't smoke over the past 10 years. (Imagine what that ashtray would look like. :eek: ). At $6.00 a pack (a price I saw locally just the other day), that's $54,750 in cigarettes I haven't purchased. That money can (and probably will someday) buy a lot of tools!!!!!

Jack

Chris DeHut
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the encouragment Jon!

I have another person in my life that also provides a lot of encouragement - my granddaughter. Every time she looks at me with those cute little blue eyes, all I can think about is I need to be around long enough to see her get married (and to beat up any kids that are not nice to her ;) )

Chris

Chris,

Having never been a smoker, I don't know what your going through, but we creekers are behind you and anyone else whose going through this battle.
Working in the medical device industry especially relating to blood flow and peripheral artery disease (legs and arms) so many of our patients we treat are smokers. Please if for nothing else quit to live a longer, EASIER (disease-free) Life.

Good luck and we're behind you 100%!!!

Jon

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2005, 1:38 PM
One of my NY resolutions was to be more safety minded in the shop. Last week, I added a new splitter to my TS. Yesterday, I assembled my new GrrRipper. Small steps...

I used to smoke in college, Navy etc But even in my mid 20's felt lousy in AM and decided to phase out. Took a few years but now haven't smoked a cig in over 10 yrs. Now we have tons of medical evidence how bad it is. Anyhow, Congrats and keep up your fine effort! Its worth it!!

Tim Morton
02-09-2005, 1:47 PM
Chris: I have my "renewal" in hand...I will wait a month and if you are still smoke free I will "renew"...anyone else? :cool:

My mother(life long smoker) died of lung cancer at the age of 58...not good!!!

Chris DeHut
02-09-2005, 1:56 PM
Good resolution on your end too! It will take a little while to get used to the GRR-Ripper, but once you do, you will wonder how you ever did woodworking without one. Very rare is the occasion when I am at the table saw or router table with out at least one ready to go.

The splitters are another great addition to the table saw.

Keep it up Jerry and I will do the same!

Chris

One of my NY resolutions was to be more safety minded in the shop. Last week, I added a new splitter to my TS. Yesterday, I assembled my new GrrRipper. Small steps...

I used to smoke in college, Navy etc But even in my mid 20's felt lousy in AM and decided to phase out. Took a few years but now haven't smoked a cig in over 10 yrs. Now we have tons of medical evidence how bad it is. Anyhow, Congrats and keep up your fine effort! Its worth it!!

Chris DeHut
02-09-2005, 1:59 PM
Hi Tim,

That sounds like a good push to help me along, I like it!

Both of my parents are still alive, but they are both on Oxygen as they too were life long smokers. I just hope that I have quit in time so I am not forced to take oxygen hits between takes while filming, I have enough to do out there without that distraction added to the mess.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone's encouragement!

Chris

Chris: I have my "renewal" in hand...I will wait a month and if you are still smoke free I will "renew"...anyone else? :cool:

My mother(life long smoker) died of lung cancer at the age of 58...not good!!!

Gary Max
02-09-2005, 2:22 PM
I quit Jan 19th 2004---over a year smoke free. Gained 60 lbs but I am on a diet now.
Once you make up your mind that you are not going to smoke---your the winner.
I done stupid stuff like ---no it my life and I am in complete control---not the cig. co.
I had smoked 3 packs a day for over 30 years so do not let the amount worry you.
This was kinda neat---phone call last week about a smokers survey---told them sorry I quit and hung up.
My wife still smokes --but she is down to a pack a week--was 2 packs a day.
You can do anything ---if you really put your mind to it.

Rich Konopka
02-09-2005, 5:15 PM
Chris:

I quit Sept 28, 1983 when I had my appendix taken out. I was smoke free until 1999 when I was working in Zurich. Everyone over there smokes and I figured instead of breathing their smoke I might as well smoke again. I quit as soon as my contract ended and I came back to the States and haven't had one since.

Good Luck.

Chris DeHut
02-16-2005, 10:48 AM
Having a rather stressful week so far I was holding off the urges to smoke while entering my fourth week. This morning, I ended walking out behind the shop area to have a smoke - I don't even have any to smoke. After realizing my blunder, I carefully looked around to see if anyone saw me standing there like a fool, didn't see anyone so I snuck back into the shop.

That was a close one, good thing I didn't have anything around to smoke :confused:

Chris

Ted Calver
02-16-2005, 1:22 PM
Chris,
I put them down on the 1st of january 1971 and have not looked back. They were also my great stress reliever. I looked around for a substitute and found that for me, an an hour of physical exercise a day keeps everything in perspective and reduces my stress levels down to a level manageable by a glass of red wine at dinner time!!
Hang tough!!
Ted

Ken Garlock
02-16-2005, 1:48 PM
Hang in there Chris. I quit in 1968, cold turkey,after using a carton of smokes a week. The first day was the worse, then the first week, and then the first month. If you can make it to 6 months, and you were serious about quiting, you are pretty much over the hump. When you get to the place where secondary smoke is obnoxious, you have made it. It is a simple matter of will power.

I had a friend at work that was always going out for a smoke(the company was/is smoke free), they buried him last week - lung cancer. :(

Illigitimatimus non carborundum :mad:

Karl Laustrup
02-16-2005, 2:04 PM
Hey, Chris, hang in there. :D It does get easier as time goes on. It's been just over 7 years for me. Quit cold turkey on New Years Eve 1997. Had been smoking 2+ packs a day.

As Ken said, when secondary smoke is foul to you, you'll know you made it. Also, when you walk out of a smoke free building and can smell the smoke of people who gather near the front door to smoke, and it kind of turns your stomach. :eek:

I don't begrudge those who smoke and it doesn't really bother me if they smoke in my presence, because I used to smoke, but have no desire to smoke at all. My clothes smell better now, also. :D

Glenn Clabo
02-16-2005, 2:08 PM
You know you really have it when you can smell the stink from the guy in the car in front of you when the windows are up! Happens all the time to us now.

Steve Ash
02-16-2005, 2:43 PM
I hope you guys can stick with it! I quit smoking on Oct. 25, 1986..the day my son was born. I had lost a daughter prior to his birth (premature birth) her lungs had not formed enough to function, we were told they were at that point as thin as tissue paper. When they applied oxygen it more or less blew them apart:( So when Chris was born I remember looking at him in the almost same condition (premature) thinking why am I ruining my lungs when my kids have none and making a plea to God. "I promise I will never smoke again if you would please spare this child". My mom and aunt both quit the same day and none of us have ever smoked again. I kept my promise and God made Chris healthy...he just got done with his Sr. year of football, they were Regional champs, he was a starting offensive guard, picked all conference offensive lineman and was looked at by a couple of colleges. (Oops can you tell I'm proud)
Anyway best of luck to you!

Karl Laustrup
02-16-2005, 3:02 PM
I hope you guys can stick with it! I quit smoking on Oct. 25, 1986..the day my son was born. I had lost a daughter prior to his birth (premature birth) her lungs had not formed enough to function, we were told they were at that point as thin as tissue paper. When they applied oxygen it more or less blew them apart:( So when Chris was born I remember looking at him in the almost same condition (premature) thinking why am I ruining my lungs when my kids have none and making a plea to God. "I promise I will never smoke again if you would please spare this child". My mom and aunt both quit the same day and none of us have ever smoked again. I kept my promise and God made Chris healthy...he just got done with his Sr. year of football, they were Regional champs, he was a starting offensive guard, picked all conference offensive lineman and was looked at by a couple of colleges. (Oops can you tell I'm proud)
Anyway best of luck to you!
Congrats, Steve.

And you have every reason to be "PROUD".

Mike Scoggins
02-16-2005, 4:23 PM
Chris,

Hang in there; this is such an important thing you're doing. It's certainly worth the effort of fighting off the temptation, the frequent urge and just the habit of lighting up. I don't smoke, nor does anyone in my immediate family, but smoking recently touched our lives in a real way. I went to the funeral of my sister-in-law's (my brother's wife) Dad, Danny, just eleven days before this thread was started. He was only 52 years old. He had smoked all of his life since his teenage years. He was diagnosed with cancer in the summer (lung cancer which had also spread to the brain).

After his diagnosis, he wanted to tell everyone he could about the ravages of smoking and encourage them to quit. I am compelled to do just that on Danny's behalf by posting this response. Through prayer, his strong desire to be there, and God's mercy, he lived long enough to see his newest grandson, but passed away just 8 days later.

Keep looking at that granddaughter as encouragement and incentive. In fact, you might want to go one step further by cutting you a block of wood (maybe balsa so it will be lightweight) the dimensions of a pack of cigarettes with your granddaughter's picture attached to it and carrying it in whatever pocket was formerly reserved for your cigarettes. When you get that strong desire, pull out your "pack," look at your granddaughter closely, and determine each time: "Nah, I think not!"

I wish you the best and pray that God will give you strength to overcome the habit. Persevere my friend!

Mike

Chris DeHut
02-16-2005, 4:35 PM
Also,

Mike, the idea of a balsa wood pack of smokes with a picture of "My girl" on it is a great idea! I think that should be part of every "quiting smokin" efforts!

Thanks again everyone, your encouragment is helping a lot!

Chris

Michael Ballent
02-16-2005, 5:25 PM
Keep at it :D It's tough to quit smoking, and unfortunately you will keep getting urges to smoke, probably forever. My mom quit smoking many years ago and she still misses it when she drinks coffee. For now just look at your routines and try to avoid the ones that included smoking. Watch for the triggers that made you want to smoke. Hold strong, we are all behind you :D

Jim Becker
02-16-2005, 8:51 PM
Keep it going, Chris...

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-17-2005, 1:06 AM
....As Ken said, when secondary smoke is foul to you, you'll know you made it. Also, when you walk out of a smoke free building and can smell the smoke of people who gather near the front door to smoke, and it kind of turns your stomach....

I'm still smoking... but second-hand smoke is already foul to me. Has been for some time, now.