PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo (Amphora #6)

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2011, 3:53 PM
Not too much lathe time the last two weeks. So while Keller and Hart have been cranking out awesome pieces by the thousands, I have managed to complete one. I was going for pink here with a red stem. I had the perfect color but then I made the mistake of shooting it with lacquer which deepened the color. Next time, I'm just going to use a wax finish! There is also a black to dark red fade on the stem which I cannot get to show up in the pic. In fact, for some reason, I cant seem to get a decent pic of this no matter what. This is the best I could come up with.

So tell me... I wonder if it's just me but it seems like every time I start a piece, I'm all stoked on it and excited about the idea. I usually have a great time during the making and I get more excited as it begins to come together. But then when I look at it finished, it always seems somehow disappointing. This one is no exception. A big letdown at the end.

Anyway, FWIW, here is #6 in the series...

Harvey M. Taylor
05-31-2011, 4:01 PM
DD you are entirely too hard on yourself. Keep it up and you will be manic-depressive, whatever that is. All are just WOW awesome. Max

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2011, 4:23 PM
No idea why you wouldn't like it cause it sure brought a smile to my face! Love the color, the form and your reverse stem but really like the top element and how the texture clashes with the main form! Cool stuff David! You just have to keep at it until you find that perfect combination that works for you! Looking forward to seeing your next variation in this series! Have fun with it!

John Keeton
05-31-2011, 4:43 PM
David, while I am not sure about the "brim" on the top, I think this is the best form of this series. The elongated "blub" really works for me. For my tastes, if it had just a slight flare similar to the others, I think it would be my favorite. For what it is worth, I enlarged the pic, and I can clearly see the black to red on the stem - goes very well with the color of the burl.

And, the anticlimactic feeling is pretty common - at least for me. And, it seems the more involved the piece, and the more effort required, the greater the letdown. Maybe that is what keeps us going to the next piece! If you were completely satisfied with the outcome, would there have been 6 of these????

John Hart
05-31-2011, 5:00 PM
I'll just say the same thing I said on that snobby site....I love it. The pattern in the figure looks like planetary storms, and I love the exaggerated flair once again, because it gives the piece the illusion of motion, like an eruption. Couple that with the storms and you have a dynamic piece that people will pick up and discuss. Your grasp of the "dainty" is impressive as usual.

Roland Martin
05-31-2011, 5:04 PM
Well David, if it didn't come out to be pink like you had wanted, you ought to call it something other than "Flamingo". I can't come up with another name:confused:, but My God this is a beautiful turning. The grain, the color, the form and the stem really come together to form an elegant piece. Lighten up, buddy!!:)

Ed Morgano
05-31-2011, 5:04 PM
Another beautiful creation David. If it bothers you to have these pieces sitting around, I'm sure there are several of us who would send you our addresses and even offer to pay shipping.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-31-2011, 5:33 PM
That's a beautiful piece, I've saved the picture for my favorites folder, I like the sense of the piece floating on thin air and the exquisite stem and the color of the piece is an eye catcher too, just about everything going on in the piece I really like.

Johnny Taylor
05-31-2011, 5:42 PM
David, this is a really striking piece, the little form is a really nice shape and looks great atop that elegant stem. Who cares if you wanted pink, the red looks great!!! If I were to offer a thought on how it might be improved it would be that the transition from nice flowing form to the neck and rim is too abrupt and made to look more so by the line there. I think a curve from shoulder into neck and continuing through the underside of the flared rim would look much more pleasing(hope you don't mind my thoughts as you didn't ask for critiques of any kind)

.....But then when I look at it finished, it always seems somehow disappointing.....196530

I do this too, I think its just human nature but it does keep us coming back for more to get it better next time......:)

Jon Nuckles
05-31-2011, 7:19 PM
I would be thrilled to have produced a piece like this! Perhaps it is a burden of your superior talent to be disappointed in mere perfection.;)

Curt Fuller
05-31-2011, 8:11 PM
So tell me... I wonder if it's just me but it seems like every time I start a piece, I'm all stoked on it and excited about the idea. I usually have a great time during the making and I get more excited as it begins to come together. But then when I look at it finished, it always seems somehow disappointing. This one is no exception. A big letdown at the end.

David, it's a beautiful addition to the series. Like most work in series, I think they usually look beautiful when they're all displayed together. I'd like to see a group shot of this series.

That disappointed feeling is something I feel sometimes too. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because the finished piece doesn't seem to show all the work and thought that went into it. Maybe it's the feeling that drives you to try even harder on the next one. Hard to say, but as you can see by the comments on this, it's unwarranted.

James Combs
05-31-2011, 8:34 PM
David, I can clearly see the black to the upward red transition on my monitor, perhaps the pic problem is your monitor. As for the let down, I think that is just comes with the trade so to speak.

Don Alexander
05-31-2011, 8:36 PM
I'll just say the same thing I said on that snobby site....I love it

hehe gotta say i agree with your description of both the turning and that site i do find it interesting that an awful lot of the pieces i see over there that i like the best i also see right here

Double D ; i have to say that i hope you never actually get one of these that you are completely satisfied with as i think that the elusiveness of perfection is likely keeping you cranking out some really amazing stuff hopefully at some point you can appreciate these "imperfect" pieces almost as much as the rest of us do .............. i look forward to seeing what you come up with next

Roger Chandler
05-31-2011, 9:16 PM
What an exquisite piece........perfectly turned pedestal with the distinctive DeCristoforo touch. Flawless execution of a design which is unique to you..............doesn't get much better.......I run out of superlatives..........

I do think that the wide rim on the top looks out of proportion with the rest of the turning.......however, as a series, each piece deserves it own distinction including design, color, and form differences from the ones preceding it. The natural edge of the burl may have dictated the size, so your judgment on form is the most reliable.

Truly nice!

Matt Hutchinson
05-31-2011, 9:25 PM
Very nice! I know it's not what you were going for, but I really like it!

Hutch

David E Keller
05-31-2011, 9:32 PM
I really like this one, and I like the big broad rim... It reminds me of a woman's hat for some reason. I think this pedestal is fantastic... It's got such graceful lines.

For me the let down happens the next day and beyond... I tend to examine and marvel at the grain in my finished pieces for the first 12 to 24 hours then I generally don't care for them as much. For most of my stuff, the 'reveal' of the grain and peculiarities is the pinnacle of my interest.

David DeCristoforo
05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanx for all the kind words. I don't mean to be "self depreciating" but I realized why I'm not totally happy with this. It's because I'm not totally happy with it! (Amazing what the human mind is capable of!) It's OK "as is" but it's not what I was after. I have already begun working on "Flamingo #2". I have a "vision" of how this is "supposed" to look so it's back to the tent for another go.

Baxter Smith
05-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Another neat variation David. Not quite sure about the wide rim but everything else really appeals to me. Looking forward to your next one!

Kathy Marshall
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Beautiful piece David, I really like this one. I think the color is perfect and the grain in the bulb really pops out at me.

Richard Madden
06-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I like every one of these you have shown us, this one being no exception. As far as the let-down, we are always our own worst critics. I think it's also one of those "the journey is more fun than the destination" type things.

Tim Rinehart
06-01-2011, 7:54 AM
David, gotta agree with others on this...it's really a beautiful piece, regardless of what the little voices are telling you.
The delicacy of the stem and then the bold flair at the top is a real dramatic twist. Nice, very very nice.
Can't wait to see a piece you've done that 'YOU' really like.!!

Cathy Schaewe
06-01-2011, 11:44 AM

As I think I've said before, I'm right there with you on that. It's a bummer when you have such high hopes in the beginning. That said, I wouldn't be feeling a letdown if I was turning these! Nice job! I'm not so enthralled with the flat top, as compared to the others, but it's still a thing of beauty -

Josh Bowman
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
David.....that's purty!

John Keeton
06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I have already begun working on "Flamingo #2". I have a "vision" of how this is "supposed" to look so it's back to the tent for another go.I have it on good authority, that working in a cloud of lacquer fumes can enhance one's visions!! :rolleyes: But, that might be quite difficult working in an open air environment as you do. Perhaps a few moments in a closet with a couple of cans of lacquer would bring better results!!!:eek: Might want to check with Hart on that for specifics!:D;)

David DeCristoforo
06-01-2011, 2:14 PM
After a careful analysis, I have concluded the following:

1) "Flamingo" needs to be pink, not red!
2) The wide brim at the top with the natural edge is exactly what I wanted. But the shape of the "bell" is too flat. It needs more "upward motion".
3) The transition piece at the top of the pedestal does not have the graceful curving flow it should have.
4) The transition piece and the stem need to be turned from a lighter wood. The bubinga I used was too brown and, consequently, the color is not what I wanted.
5) I will never be satisfied with the result of my efforts. I am much more enthralled with the process than I am with the product. So be it.
6) There is no place like SMC. I have said before and I will say it again. The camaraderie and sense of community found here is unequaled.

So, thanx again to all for looking, commenting and offering both constructive criticism and encouragement. Oh and, BTW, I think I will pass on the "lacquer therapy" for the time being. My work space is so "compact" that I'm afraid the lacquer fumes would end up having such a high concentration that my brain would simply melt and run out my ears…

Quinn McCarthy
06-01-2011, 2:19 PM
That is some incredible work dave. Just love the natural edge.

Quinn

John Hart
06-01-2011, 3:07 PM
.....My work space is so "compact" that I'm afraid the lacquer fumes would end up having such a high concentration that my brain would simply melt and run out my ears…

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. ie., from the perspective of one who is not impaired. Once your brains melt out, you'll still be happy. Just different. I hope this helps.

1) Personally, I think you could simply rename it. "Candy Apple Camaro" comes to mind
2) I ran into this problem a while back and realized that no matter how good it felt on the lathe, a flattened or downward curve on the mouth looked funny-to-bad when it was vertical.
3) I'm hardly an expert at transitions, but a flare works wonders....or just make it a seamless part of the upper body
4) I can not comment on color arrangements. I am fashion-challenged
5) If you were satisfied with end results and not the process...then you would be a buyer. As it is, you are well-suited to be a maker.
6) Yes. I've been here for over 6 years and can attest that there is no place like it.

Dan Forman
06-01-2011, 3:36 PM
David --- Well, I would be happy to produce such disappointing work. :)

Hearing the comments from you and John, I was reminded of a couple of quotes in my collection which I think have something to say about this...

"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither a fade." -Marcel Proust-

"An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in persuit." -Pliney the Younger-

My own interpretation... When something exists in the imagination, it has no faults - it is boundless, perfect. As soon as it enters the physical realm, we become aware of it's limitations and imperfections. The initial energy of mental creation or chase is past and gone, and we become aware of the differences between what we imagined and what is. Often we prefer the imagined.

Dan

John Hart
06-01-2011, 3:49 PM
That was great, Dan. :)

Cathy Schaewe
06-01-2011, 3:51 PM
Yes, I really like what Dan said too.

Scott Hackler
06-01-2011, 4:04 PM
Really nice piece David. I really like the flat wide rim. That sets this piece apart from #'s 1-5, IMO.

David DeCristoforo
06-01-2011, 4:08 PM
"...we become aware of the differences between what we imagined and what is..."

Yes. I would only replace the word "imagined" with "envisioned"... A very "sage" friend of mine once told me that, in this life, you can only have what you can imagine...

Ed Morgano
06-01-2011, 4:31 PM
I think you are looking at this the wrong way. ie., from the perspective of one who is not impaired. Once your brains melt out, you'll still be happy. Just different. I hope this helps.

1) Personally, I think you could simply rename it. "Candy Apple Camaro" comes to mind
2) I ran into this problem a while back and realized that no matter how good it felt on the lathe, a flattened or downward curve on the mouth looked funny-to-bad when it was vertical.
3) I'm hardly an expert at transitions, but a flare works wonders....or just make it a seamless part of the upper body
4) I can not comment on color arrangements. I am fashion-challenged
5) If you were satisfied with end results and not the process...then you would be a buyer. As it is, you are well-suited to be a maker.
6) Yes. I've been here for over 6 years and can attest that there is no place like it.

John,
You bring up some great points and you have put a great perspective on David's work. As to #6, I wholehartedly agree. I've been to a couple of the other forums and the atmosphere is completely different. The support here is incredible and much appreciated.