PDA

View Full Version : Computer jocks, a question

Bruce Page
05-31-2011, 3:28 PM
Any idea what is causing this font (?) problem? This is transcript from a Michael Irvin interview of Aaron Rodgers last January. http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2009/01/aaron-rodgers-interview-michael-irvin-brett-favre/

I’m assuming I have some computer setting messed up but my iPad displays the article exactly the same way.

I run Firefox as my PC browser and Safari for the iPad.

Thanks

David Weaver
05-31-2011, 4:35 PM
I think the trouble is on the page design or server end and not on your end as the viewer. At least that's what a quick google search suggests if you search something along the line of "apostrophes replaced by euro signs". One of the hits is the exact blobs of characters in your text.

Bryan Morgan
05-31-2011, 6:10 PM
Its most likely a copied and pasted text piece from a PDF or some other type of file to their HTML file, probably using an online editor. This doesn't always work correctly as it doesn't know how to relate some character types. At any rate, the problem is theirs, not yours.

Bruce Page
05-31-2011, 7:21 PM
Thanks, I feel better knowing it's not on my end.
I would have liked to read the article but it is too much trouble to decipher.

Jim Koepke
05-31-2011, 8:05 PM
I see this a lot when copying text from one source and pasting it into another. I am not sure of the exact cause. I think it caused by special characters used by some programs or maybe from text being first set in another language and translated in to English.

A lot of professional typesetting is now done in India to save money.

Being able to deal with it depends on what kind of text editing abilities you have, it is often possible to copy the characters that should be apostrophes and convert all of them in one shot to apostrophes. This is done with a find and replace function found in the edit menu.

I know a lot of articles I cut and paste need to be character edited before they become readable.

It can also be caused by some programs using special characters for "smart quotes," em dashes and apostrophes.

jtk

Bruce Page
06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks Jim. I was able to replace 68 ’ with ‘ (apostrophes). Now I just have to decipher what some of the other jumbled mess means.

Retirement is wonderful. I now have time for the useless things in life!