PDA

View Full Version : WW Clamps and pressure?

James Carmichael
02-08-2005, 1:59 PM
Anybody know of a resource listing the approximate pressure applied by the commonly-used WW clamps, such as K-body, F, C, and pipe?

Scott Coffelt
02-08-2005, 2:11 PM
No, but typically it is when the glues starts to squeeze out. One would be surprised of how little pressure is required if the boards are properly prepared. The goal is not to squeeze all the glue out obviously.

Steve Evans
02-08-2005, 2:24 PM
I seem to recall that the FWW article on clamps a couple of months ago indicated this information. I'll try and dig it up tonight.

Steve

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 2:42 PM
No, but typically it is when the glues starts to squeeze out. One would be surprised of how little pressure is required if the boards are properly prepared. The goal is not to squeeze all the glue out obviously.
We did some un-scientific tests on this during high school. We jointed some boards and then would use bar clamp, quick grip clamps etc. We would only apply enough pressure to close up the gap and get a tiny bit of glue squeeze out. Then we also applied as much pressure as the clamps would allow. It sure seemed to us that the light pressure set ups held together better and seemed to have more glue in the joint.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-08-2005, 4:39 PM
I saw a list somewhere, but the only one I remember were the quick clamps at 900 lbs.