PDA

View Full Version : Learned something about wood storage today.

Matt Hutchinson
05-31-2011, 12:35 PM
So today was my day to rough out some pieces. I have had some 16" cherry logs setting around for a year and a half, and they were gonna become my cache of salad bowls for holiday sales. I knew the ones in contact with the ground would be rotten, but I thought the ones that were stacked up would be fine. They were not. I have done this with walnut successfully, but I guess it can't be done with cherry. Oops.

On a brighter note, a few weeks ago I got a haul of BIG cherry from a 38" diameter trunk. At least I have some replacement stock. :D

Hutch

Reed Gray
05-31-2011, 1:12 PM
Walnut is naturally rot resistant, and bug resistant. Cherry is not.

robo hippy

Matt Hutchinson
05-31-2011, 5:27 PM
Hehe, yeah, I knew cherry wouldn't be rot resistant like walnut, but I was still hopeful, especially since it was up off the ground. That's what I get for procrastinating. :rolleyes:

Karl Card
05-31-2011, 5:29 PM
Well for what it is worth I to learned something from this thread. I did not realize walnut was rot and bug resistant..

John Hart
05-31-2011, 6:13 PM
Well, that's cool that you got replacement wood. I burned cherry all last winter. It sure make the house smell nice. :)

James Combs
05-31-2011, 6:57 PM
Walnut is naturally rot resistant, and bug resistant. Cherry is not.

robo hippy

Yes walnut is resistant to most bugs but black ants can do a number on it.

Scott T Smith
05-31-2011, 8:48 PM
Most logs will be decaying within a year. If you catch it at the right time, you'll have some beautiful spalted lumber. Too late, and you've got junk.

Walnut and Oak will last longer in log form than most others. If you want to save it longer, try submerging your logs in a pond.

Matt Hutchinson
05-31-2011, 9:34 PM
HA! I live in the middle of an urban neighborhood. I wish I had land with a pond!! :D

I have had a very good success rate on keeping wood for long periods of time on either the cement driveway or in my shop. I have had some for a couple years that's still fine. But I am at a different point as a woodturner now anyway, and I have no intention of leaving stuff in a pile unless I am trying to spalt it. I am in the shop 5 days a week, between 34 and 42 hrs so I plan on roughing out a ridiculous amount of work. Now if I were only getting paid....... *doh*

Hutch

Dick Wilson
05-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes walnut is resistant to most bugs but black ants can do a number on it.

I have half dozen chunks of walnut that are riddled with black ant holes. Several 6-7 years ago when I got them I discovered they had ants in them still. I used half a dozen cans of ant spray and plastic bagged them for a couple of years. Until you all brought this up I forgot that I had them. Hmmmmmmm. I will have to dig them out cuz I just got an idea for a turning. I won't even have to do any piercing:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Justin Stephen
06-01-2011, 9:50 AM
Unfortunately, cherry is also very prone to rotting even when it is still a standing tree, which is a lesson I recently discovered quite painfully.

John M. Smith
06-01-2011, 9:13 PM
Back of a pickup isn't much better. Makes it kinda cracky :-)

Matt Hutchinson
06-01-2011, 9:29 PM
Do you need any more firewood? I have some cherry for ya. :D

John M. Smith
06-01-2011, 9:37 PM
Got plenty right now. Thanks. Ask Scott, he's always grabbin up the scraps.