PDA

View Full Version : Perspex computer case

Ian Franks
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
This a a pic from a facebook competition, has anyone ever done this is it a worthwhile project?
This would look so cool

Michael Hunter
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
1 FIRE HAZARD! No possibility of UL approval if it is made from standard acrylic.

2 Almost certainly no longer meets the radio frequency interference emissions requirements of FCC, CE etc.

3 Will fill up with dust and look horrible.

Rodne Gold
05-31-2011, 1:06 PM
Ive seen some really good ones made out of acrylic , that one is rubbish

Larry Bratton
05-31-2011, 2:38 PM
Ive seen some really good ones made out of acrylic , that one is rubbish

Hehehe..don't hold back now Rodney. Just tell it like it is. (I thought it looked pretty good, but what do I know?)

Dan Hintz
05-31-2011, 2:57 PM
It's a simplistic case, for sure, but it's also cleanly designed (which is more than I can say for a lot of the hackjobs I've seen). the inset "ASUS" logo is a nice touch. It won't win any contests (or at least it shouldn't win anything with more than a few entries), but I wouldn't consider it junk... just somewhat plain.

I've seen a number of extremely complex plexi cases with oil cooling, fluorescent dyes, flashing LEDs, moving parts, etc. Those cases win every time, and for good reason...

Lee DeRaud
05-31-2011, 4:09 PM
Leaving aside subjective aesthetic judgements, my question whenever I see one of these things is, what's the point?

Computer cases are best hidden from view altogether, except for minimal access to DVD drive trays etc.

Bill Cunningham
05-31-2011, 9:55 PM
Leaving aside subjective aesthetic judgements, my question whenever I see one of these things is, what's the point?

Computer cases are best hidden from view altogether, except for minimal access to DVD drive trays etc.

Yup! Once you stuff it under the desk/table/bench/etc.. Who cares what it's made out of, and you probably won't see it again until it starts to make funny noises, or all the smoke leaks out.. They seem to stop working when a lot of the smoke leaks out.. That smoke must be important!

Rodne Gold
06-01-2011, 1:12 AM
A lot of puter geeks types (like audiophile geek types - me included in that bunch) like to show off their SOTA components....Me , I prefer to stuff the case outa sight.
As an aside , re the smoke and funny noises , Vincent de Klerk uses his laser to make filters to stop all that ....
http://www.demcifilter.com/

Ian Franks
06-01-2011, 2:00 AM
Being new to laser cutting and acrylic this is fascinating to me. We also hide our computers under the desk, but this really sparked my interest. Would have to start with some less ambitious projects first.
Has anyone built a custom case before?

Michael Hunter
06-01-2011, 2:18 PM
Have a look at "forums DOT hexus DOT net/chassis-system-modding/"

These people spend a LOT of money - get in with them and some might rub off on you!
Trouble is, there are many more who talk the talk, but, when faced with paying for some nice engraving, blow the money on a new processor instead.

Someone must have served them badly in the past, as they tend to regard laser engraving as "cheap-and-shoddy" (compared to rotary engraving which is truly wonderful).

Lee DeRaud
06-01-2011, 5:22 PM
Trouble is, there are many more who talk the talk, but, when faced with paying for some nice engraving, blow the money on a new processor instead.Selecting 'function' over 'form'...what the heck are they thinking?:p

Martin Boekers
06-01-2011, 5:38 PM
If I was going to do a computer mod I would go the steampunk route.....

www.musicradar.com/news/tech/39-amazing-steampunk-computer-mods-200834 (http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/39-amazing-steampunk-computer-mods-200834)

Marty