PDA

View Full Version : Cheerios Commercial and woodworking

Mark Conde
05-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Anyone ever see the Cheerios commercial with the guy that says he loves woodworking and building bird houses? Then you see a shot of the guy using a hand plane to work on a piece of wood held in place with a metal working vice.

I know it's just a silly, meaningless commercial, but it bothers me that there are so many inaccuracies with the commercial. My wife thinks I am nuts for letting it get to me. But really?-- a hand plane (jack or smoothing) used to round out a workpiece in a metal vice is just jacked up.

Ok-- I am better now that I shared.

Brian Kent
05-31-2011, 1:12 AM
Here is a thread about that. I think he might have been going with some curvy grain.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153772-Plane-use

Bruce Page
05-31-2011, 2:03 AM
They are making a commercial not a documentary. Anything that promotes woodworking is good in my book. I worked wood for 20 years before I got my first real woodworking vise.

Lee Schierer
05-31-2011, 8:53 AM
So I'm not a woodworker if I use a metal working vise to hold a piece of wood? My metal vise has as many metal chips as it does wood chips on it. Sometimes in my shop I use the metal vise to hold small pieces of wood because it sticks up in the air and I can get to the piece easier than I can with my wood vise which is flush to the bench top. And I confess to using a hand plane to round off pieces of wood mostly because I don't own a spoke shave.