PDA

View Full Version : Memorial weekend

Michael James
05-30-2011, 11:34 PM
John Pratt was kind enough to send me some historic oak from Ft. Sill Okla, where my father has been buried for a while. I made myself a WS II Black Ti / Platinum, and put an antique oil finish on top of shellec. I spent all weekend visiting in my heart as I worked on other stuff. Very meaningful for me, and a great gesture on John's part; I really appreciate it. Thanx.
I got some steel bushings, and delrin from Johnny CNC (ctr 2 ctr), and I'm NEVER going back to a mandrel. Zero time trying to correct out of roundness - and yes, I've tried every suggestion I've seen to make a madrel run true. Great service and a nice guy too! No endorsement, just a happy customer.
And I couldn't resist a little "sampling" of the feast. Hickory smoked babybacks, corn on the cob, pork and beans, apple pie and ice cream and, oh yeah... a couple of tums. Not pictured either, were the brautz and hot links - none left!
All in all a great weekend for me! Thanks to all my friends and relatives who serve, and yours too!
mj

Steve bellinger
05-31-2011, 5:16 AM
Michael really nice pen, and knowing what it means to you makes it that much more special.:)

John Hart
05-31-2011, 5:59 AM
Excellent gesture on the part of Mr. Pratt, and a well done pen. I trust you'll be treasuring your work for the rest of your life. Nice gloat on the grub too. I managed to avoid the family picnic (which is a gloat itself ;))

Mandrels running true....what a bunch of hooey!! :)

John Keeton
05-31-2011, 6:34 AM
MJ, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, with lots of good memories, food and woodturning - hard to beat! Great job on the pen, too. The shellac and AO made a very warm finish for the oak.

Richard Jones
05-31-2011, 8:12 AM
Good story there, great provenance, great pen.

Glad you had fun, I got to cut hay for the last 3 days, and I'm really not getting any younger. Had to go back to work today to get some rest........

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Glad you had a great weekend! Beautiful pen and it's really cool about the significance of the wood! Very nice of John to send the Oak to you!

Dan Forman
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Looks like you had a good weekend. The pen looks good, and I'm sure it will have great meaning for you. My dad (87 now) was stationed for a while at Camp Crowder, near Joplin. My sis says he's been talking a lot about that since the tornado there.

Dan

John Pratt
05-31-2011, 5:58 PM
Michael,

I am glad you enjoyed the gift. I hope you enjoyed the book about the tree and it's significance to this area as a witness tree. It was my pleasure to send it to you after you took time out to help me learn some tricks to turning pens. After 24 years of service I know what significance things like this can be to family members and service members. My Grandfather was stationed here on Fort Sill and married in the Old Post Chapel in 1942. It all seems to come full circle doesn't it?

John

Michael James
05-31-2011, 7:40 PM
Thanks John (and everyone who took the time to write/peek), for the book and ALL the mementos you sent along which are going to my daughter and nephew who are active military. It seems the culture is best understood by those who live in it. Full circle indeed sir!
Michael

Michael,

I am glad you enjoyed the gift. I hope you enjoyed the book about the tree and it's significance to this area as a witness tree. It was my pleasure to send it to you after you took time out to help me learn some tricks to turning pens. After 24 years of service I know what significance things like this can be to family members and service members. My Grandfather was stationed here on Fort Sill and married in the Old Post Chapel in 1942. It all seems to come full circle doesn't it?

John

David E Keller
05-31-2011, 9:40 PM
Glad to hear the weekend was a good one, MJ. The addition of some wonderful New Mexican chile made our weekend great... Thanks for the goodies!

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you had dinner at our house. We had the same dinner except we had cherry pie ala'mode. Great looking pen with a lot of sentimental value. That's one to treasure.

Cathy Schaewe
06-01-2011, 11:36 AM
MJ was kind enough to send me one of these pens made from that wood, which was such a thoughtful gesture, and I really appreciated it (I don't make pens, so he's been my primary supplier!). Very nice looking pen, and the blue-and-black one he sent with it is stunning! I also appreciate all the chile (powder and sauce) - up here in NY, we don't get the good stuff!

Sorry I've been too distracted to comment on anybody's stuff lately - Joplin is my hometown (my family is safe), and that's taken much of my attention.