PDA

View Full Version : do you think my beal buffer would work for this?

jared herbert
05-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I have a pair of prescription safety glasses that I only use for shop work and my outside work, I am a farmer. They are bifocals and are plastic lenses of some sort, not glass. There is no correction in the top portion of the lenses. They have developed a lot of scratches, some are very small but it is like looking though a haze. I took them to my eye clinic to see if they could polish them out and they said they couldnt. I was just wondering if anyone had ever used the white diamond on the buffing wheels to polish out scratches or if there were any other suggestions about how to clean them up. It would seem to me that there should be some way to clean up these scratches rather than buying a new pair of glasses. thanks in advance Jared

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Jared - I have not tried to buff out plastic lenses on glasses but I have used it to buff out acrylic and it does a great job on that! If you can't see through the glasses anyway - what do you have to lose? When I buff my acrylic finials - I use just a touch of white diamond and very light pressure - with the lathe running around 1000 rpm. Good luck!

mickey cassiba
05-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Jared, I've been wearing poly carbonate lenses for years, and when they are scratched(IMO)they are scratched. I have not found any way to restore them...If you find something...let me know. I've got a couple pair that will still work with my feeble eyes.

Harry Robinette
05-31-2011, 9:04 AM
Jared
Use the plastic polish you use for pen making,I use it all the time on my prescription.You put it on BY HAND The buffer burns the plastic and poly carbonate,put on the lens and rub it out.Do it a couple times then ware awhile and do it again ( takes a couple times ) and mine are like almost new except for the really BIG scratches.I've been using this for a couple years on my shop prescription safety glasses and my face shield .

Doug Wolf
05-31-2011, 9:11 AM
Jared, I tried buffing three different face sheilds that I use for woodturning and grinding and they all came out looking like new. I was going to replace them anyway so I figured I might as well try to buff out the scratches. I took them off of the headgear and buffed both sides of them. I don't remember if I started with Tripoli but I think I did, because I had some deep scratches the white diamond wouldn't remove by it's self. It might be hard to buff your lenses in the frames, but it's worth a try. Now you've got me thinking about that pair of scratched readers I've got laying around. I'll have to try them.