PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have any experience with a Jet DC-650TS Dust Collector?

Adam Gerlach
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
All,

I am in the process of finally adding a DC system to my shop. I woodwork as a hobby, and I don't have a huge shop, ~400 sq. ft. So, I will never have any terribly long runs and I don't have much space to store a DC. My original thought was to buy a Harbor Freight with the Thein baffle and vent outside. But, today somebody posted a jet DC-650TS dust collector on CL with a 44 Gal drum, 30' 4" aluminum tubing, and blast gates in like-new condition for $125.

I just wondered if anybody had any opinions or thoughts on this model vs. my original plan. Does anybody know what the original price of this model would have been? Part of me is thinking to just buy it at that price and give it a shot. If it doesn't meet my needs I would probably keep the tubing and blast gates and try to sell the DC at roughly the same price.

Thanks!

Paul Wunder
05-31-2011, 5:51 AM
Adam,

From Googling the Jet model # it appears that the unit is a one horsepower vacuum. In general, units of that size are inadequate to clear a 10" table saws. The stated output is 600cfm, but the reasonable practice on non cyclone collectors is to divide the mfg. stated output in half 600 becomes 300, etc.

David Nelson1
05-31-2011, 8:51 AM
I have to agree with Paul. I had a Rockler hang on the wall collector 650 CFM. No pipe just flex hose. It worked good with the planer and jointer only because the chips/dust was being thrown out. The table saw had 0 collection. I upgraded to 1500 cfm and I'm happy for now.

Adam Gerlach
05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your insight. I think I will wait a little bit to see if anything else good comes up on CL otherwise I will go with my original thought.