PDA

View Full Version : White Marble Color Fill

Jeff Belany
05-30-2011, 9:40 PM
I'm doing a white Marble tile for exterior use. I know it's not the best but it's what the customer wants. I usually color fill with a black patinating wax (Liberon) which works very well for coasters and other interior work but not sure about exterior use. Any other suggestions? I will seal it the best I can before and after coloring. I could use artists oil paint or any other black finish. Any help appreciated.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bill Cunningham
05-31-2011, 9:20 PM
Other than using lithochrome paint, you might try rubbing in some krylon fusion.. Spray it on a lint free cloth, and rub it into the engraved area.. Keep in mind, you should seal the marble before you engrave it. If there are any cracks/fissures/ or lines in the marble, without sealing, the colour may try to penetrate those as well.. I find the Fusion seems to stick to just about anything, and it's weatherproof when fully cured.. You could also use Turtlewax Color cure car polish in black.. It will soak into the marble, and anything left on the sealed surface will buff right off. You can then seal it again after it drys and it should be permanent.

Dane Fuller
05-31-2011, 9:43 PM
Bill,
What do you use to seal the marble?

Bill Cunningham
05-31-2011, 10:07 PM
I have been using the stone sealer from Home Depot..(used for sealing grout/shower tiles/outdoor patio stones etc..) It does not seem to have any colour enhancers in it, and it does not seem to change the finished colour any.. It's a polymer that you just brush on and let sit for 15 min. then wipe of the excess and let it dry.. Then engrave/colourfil, seal it again using the same technique after the colour file drys, then buff it to a shine..

Dane Fuller
05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks Bill. I'll have to pick some up.

Vicki Rivrud
06-05-2011, 9:52 AM
do you have to seal granite as well?
Thanks for all the great help, Vicki

I have been using the stone sealer from Home Depot..(used for sealing grout/shower tiles/outdoor patio stones etc..) It does not seem to have any colour enhancers in it, and it does not seem to change the finished colour any.. It's a polymer that you just brush on and let sit for 15 min. then wipe of the excess and let it dry.. Then engrave/colourfil, seal it again using the same technique after the colour file drys, then buff it to a shine..

Larry Bratton
06-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Vicki:
Yes, you should.

Bill Cunningham
06-05-2011, 10:53 PM
do you have to seal granite as well?
Thanks for all the great help, Vicki

Yup.. If for no other reason than to keep it from absorbing dirt and oil from normal handling i.e. granite coasters..