PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with your throughput?

Federico Mena Quintero
05-30-2011, 8:10 PM
I'm not unhappy with how slowly I build things - it's a hobby, hand tools only, etc. - but I sometimes do wonder if I'm being unnecessarily slow.

Going from as-bought, semi-rough boards to planed, dimensioned stock takes me long. Or maybe it takes me a normal amount of time, but all the sweat makes it seem like it took a lot longer :)

Joinery is fine. I still take too long, but do notice when, with practice, I become faster.

As an amateur, being able to put only a few hours a week into woodworking, I wonder what other people do or feel.

David Weaver
05-30-2011, 8:16 PM
As an amateur, being able to put only a few hours a week into woodworking, I wonder what other people do or feel.

I feel the same way. My wife is more worried about my throughput than I am now, but I don't use many power tools. I'd rather make 1/2 or 1/3rd as much stuff and make it by hand.

I guess it depends on how much you need the things you're building. If you don't really need them all right away, you can work to convince yourself that it's the process and the quality of the results you want to enjoy, and the quantity will be what it will be.

john brenton
05-30-2011, 8:55 PM
Well yeah, I guess. Its hard when its a hobby and you just don't have the time to devote one day to this and the next day to that. The pressure isn't on either...which is a good thing and a bad thing. I have a small table has been sitting here taking up space in my cramped garage for about three weeks. It needs strtchers for the bottoms and I need to finish the top. I don't even really like it....which is frustrating after all that ripping and resawing. I figure a good bandsaw will change my whole world. I like the challenge though.

Johnny Kleso
05-30-2011, 9:35 PM
It maybe the process you use..

Plan all cuts and lable boards and mark for cutting
Rough saw all boards
Rough plane all boards and sticker every night
Finish plane
Mark for all joint cuts
ect ect

john brenton
05-30-2011, 9:41 PM
Good points. Knowing at what point you start slowing down is golden info. I know for me if I don't properly label eveything I really get screwed up. Its not a problem if I'm doing it all at one time, but it you have to leave it and come back its hard. For some reason my pencil marks get lost. I'm thinking about getting some little stickers.

It maybe the process you use..

Plan all cuts and lable boards and mark for cutting
Rough saw all boards
Rough plane all boards and sticker every night
Finish plane
Mark for all joint cuts
ect ect

Mike Davis NC
05-31-2011, 9:31 AM
If you look at some really old (pre-power tool) furniture they didn't bother with finish planing anything that was out of sight. Sometimes even hand sawn and no plane at all. I'm sure that dramatically increases production. But, some modern day craftsmen can't get past letting go.

Mark Salomon
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
What's the hurry? If you aren't building to sell and it's just a hobby I'll think that you'll find more enjoyment in the journey, not the final product. As long as you're trying to build heirloom quality stuff (meaning things that the family will treasure and want to keep in the family) and using each new project to stretch your skills then I think that you're on the right path. Enjoy it!

Terry Beadle
05-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I think production is more of a mind thing than an item thing. There is no fast to woodworking. There's just "is it right". It takes what it takes and the process is the pleasure with a bit of product thrown in.

The old saying "the mind can always over load the ass" so much more quickly than your wishful "how many have I completed" thoughts. You only have one life and just so much time. You can't make 5000 high boys ( unless they are miniatures via computer controlled production machines....of course I have three of those don't you! Hoot! ).

Other peoples expectations depend on their experience, expertise, and appreciation. Those score all over the map so I wouldn't be worried about production unless I was making the same part that I failed to make right the first two attempts. Dems my 2 cents!

Federico Mena Quintero
05-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the replies - you got me thinking.

I usually do an overview drawing, and maybe sketch tricky joints if I don't trust that they'll come out well by just thinking of them in my head. I should definitely do more of that - sometimes it seems that I spend much time looking at the wood, thinking about how to join it, and it would be faster to do a drawing.

Then I need a proper rip saw. I've been using my big Disston crosscut, and it's definitely slowing me down when doing the initial ripping of parts. Maybe I should finish that bowsaw...

Peter Follansbee and Bob Rozaieski have both blogged about not planing sections that will not be visible in the end, and other similar shortcuts. I've started to do that; it *is* a great time saver and makes a lot of sense!

Jim Neeley
05-31-2011, 3:36 PM
"Are you happy with your throughput?"

Federico.. A question.. As a hobbyist, do you really want to use throughput as a measure of happiness?

In my case I spend my 60-75 hrs/week in my "regular job" focused on throughput. I use shop time
as my one time where throughput and productivity is irrelevant, just that I'm enjoying myself and getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Your mileage may vary.. :-)

john brenton
05-31-2011, 3:53 PM
That, and if you're buying pre-dimensioned wood, or running it through a power planer then why not have all surfaces finished. Although I appreciate a rived underside or saw tracks, I must admit that I am one of the guys that really, reaaaally enjoys planing. It's the pellet that I get to enjoy after all the resawing and ripping. I plane every surface until it can't be improved on.

If you look at some really old (pre-power tool) furniture they didn't bother with finish planing anything that was out of sight. Sometimes even hand sawn and no plane at all. I'm sure that dramatically increases production. But, some modern day craftsmen can't get past letting go.

Jeff Wittrock
05-31-2011, 6:56 PM
For my paying job, everything is planned out almost to the day on a calender from project start to project to finish where the project may take 6 months or even a year. We are always talking about productivity, efficiency, "work smarter not harder", etc., etc.

In my own workshop, I am a model of inefficiency.
When I am working on a woodworking project or a tool project at home, I don't plan anything. Sometimes I may draw some sketches to try out ideas before committing to wood or metal, but that's not to save time... Its only to avoid wasting material. I may spend half a day just piddling around trying to find a piece of wood with a grain pattern that I think fits the shape of what I am trying to make.

I choose to take time on things I feel like working on, and choose to set something aside if I don't feel much like working on it. If I want to call something good enough, I can do that. If I want to waste time on something, I can do that too.

I enjoy looking at a finished project once it is done, but there is something to be said for enjoying the work.

Enjoy doing things slowly when you can Federico :)

-Jeff

Curt Putnam
05-31-2011, 11:15 PM
What's the hurry? If you aren't building to sell and it's just a hobby I'll think that you'll find more enjoyment in the journey, not the final product. As long as you're trying to build heirloom quality stuff (meaning things that the family will treasure and want to keep in the family) and using each new project to stretch your skills then I think that you're on the right path. Enjoy it!

Very nicely said !! That is my path too.

Chris Fournier
06-01-2011, 6:45 AM
I'm happy with my through put about 20% of the time. This would stand as a hobbiest and professional. It always seems that I can tweak the process to be faster and that I missed a detail of some kind that required backtracking. The 20% of the time when it all goes well is a real treat, The 10% of the time when I get more done in a a day than I planned is glorious - so I usually end up slacking off the next day. I guess it's a grasshopper vs. ant thing!

george wilson
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I used to make a classical guitar in 2 weeks time. Except for bandsawing out the neck,mostly by hand work. I have slowed down very much!!

Gary Hodgin
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
I too am a hobbyist. When I first started ww I was surprised at how long it took me to complete the simplest projects, like a bookshelf or step stool. However, once I completed a few for the family I realized I didn't have enough projects to sustain me for very long. I also noticed that I was spending way more time than I liked setting up the basic machinery I had, especially the jointer, router, and table saw. I don't have real good equipment so it takes time to get things set up right. I never enjoyed running a board on a jointer and really wondered what would happen if the collet on my router decided to let go of the bit.

After trying my hand at sharpening and using a hand plane, I decided to use more planes, chisels, and hand saws and fewer machines. I still use my table saw for rips, but use hand saws for nearly all cross-cuts, except on sheets of plywood. I do use a band saw for curves and to rip thicker stock. I flatten one side of my boards with hand planes and use a thickness planner for final thickness before the smooth plane.

I take as long as I want and enjoy about every minute of it. I'd much rather spend my time sharpening and using my hand tools than listening to a bunch of noise and worrying about cutting my fingers off. I really don't worry about how long it takes me to do something. Occasionally my wife will ask when something will be finished. I just say "when its finished" and that I'll let her be the first to know. I think she gets the point and hardly ask any more.

Leigh Betsch
06-01-2011, 10:54 PM
No. But that's to short to post. So no.