PDA

View Full Version : Elm Burl HF

John Hart
05-30-2011, 8:03 PM
I didn't even expect to work on this piece of wood today. I had other plans, but something tugged me in this direction...so here we go. Yet another fine piece of wood gifted to me by David Keller....In fact, this is my third of his on this turncation alone.

The wood is just dazzling, and I fear I've not done it justice with my pics. But I'll give a bunch of views. The depth and color of the figure is out of this world.

It's another one of those lawsuit Keith Burns copies....Snakewood collar and finial...Hollowed pretty thin with a big ol round nosed scraper and the Ugly Stick. Finished with WOP...buffed. Size is 8"X 3".

Got to use my fancy homemade magnifier whatchamacallit. It's so cool when you can see. :)

Thanks most humbly for looking. I treasure your input.

Oh..and here's a shot of the three pieces made from the Keller stash (The lid's tipped on the one on the left...sorry, I got excited and didn't pay attention):)

Steve bellinger
05-30-2011, 8:10 PM
John of all the great pieces i've seen from you, i think this is my favorite. This one might just get you that law suit from keith.:D

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2011, 8:10 PM
Scheesh! Give a guy a day off and look what happens. He turns into Keith Burns. Well, kind of a little bit twisted Keith Burns anyway.

David E Keller
05-30-2011, 8:24 PM
Another knockout piece! I'm sorry that the burl didn't extend further into the piece, but I can rectify that on a future swap. You're officially the only guy I know that can turn snakewood successfully... In fact, this piece may crack now that I've viewed it. Super work!

Rich Aldrich
05-30-2011, 8:50 PM
John - Really nice work. You had some nice stock to work with as well. I have to get into making hollow forms.

John Keeton
05-30-2011, 9:25 PM
I think the burl just on the top portion adds to the piece! Really a nice contrast in texture - particularly with the collar and burled lid. Nice work, Hart.

Jim Burr
05-30-2011, 9:30 PM
I'd settle for being able to make a collar and finial! I guess the bar is raised given your new vision capabilities 'cuz that one is over the top! Well put together sir!

Baxter Smith
05-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Very nice John. You have been in production mode lately!

Michael James
05-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Another winner Mr. Hart. I'm sure your magnifying gadget is only going to up your game. The WOP finish is awesome as are your lacquer finishes.... are you switching teams? Also, you have good connections for topshelf material. Keep em coming!
mj

Kathy Marshall
05-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Very very nice John! Great form and a beautiful chunk of wood! I like this one alot!

Tim Thiebaut
05-31-2011, 4:02 AM
Well you have had a busy turning weekend thats for sure, I love the photo of all 3 pieces in it....it would be tough to pick a favorite I like them all so much.

John Hart
05-31-2011, 6:38 AM
Thanks all for the kind words. These forms are pretty interesting to turn. This particular wood was extremely hard at the heart wood....like rock. The burl area was like pine, except the dark spots which were like rock. I sharpened a lot.

David...I have done a lot of snakewood over the years, and everything cracked during the early period. I finally figured it out. Snakewood hates heat. If you ride your bevel too much, add too much pressure or do any kind of friction sanding, polishing..whatever....It will crack. I do very light cuts, don't take much off at any one time, and make sure the wood stays cool. And it doesn't crack. Thanks again for the nice wood. I still have a little chunk of this Elm left over. It'll make a nice vase.

MJ...No, I'm not switching teams :) Lacquer is still my friend :) Certain pieces though, really need that low luster finish, just for their fondleability. :)

Michelle Rich
05-31-2011, 6:46 AM
I like the variation in the HF makes it a bit more compelling..

Jeff Folkert
05-31-2011, 9:08 AM
John,

Love that wood and it is very interesting indeed. Someday my finals will actually turn out like yours and Keith's.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Very nice work John! Wood is amazing! Sure like the color combination!

bob svoboda
05-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Superb work Mr. Hart.

Dan Forman
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Well done sir! Really like this form, and it displays the burl nicely. The snakewood is a nice touch, gives me an idea for that pen blank I've been afraid to drill. :)

Dan

Jon Nuckles
05-31-2011, 1:23 PM
That's really cool. Love the way the burl seems to bubble up out of the straight grain.

Ed Morgano
05-31-2011, 1:50 PM
I love it John. It's amazing what you can do when you can see. The wood is beautiful and you did a great job with it. Gives me more to shoot for.

Lee Chadwick
05-31-2011, 4:21 PM
WOW!!! Just stunning

Roland Martin
05-31-2011, 5:54 PM
Very nice work, John. It makes it really interesting with the burl on the upper portion and the collar is just right to finish it off. The group picture is awesome. You're a turning machine!