PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Table Saw Placement Tip

Don Carkhuff
02-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I recently moved my Jointer to the left of the Table Saw. I added an auxillary fence to the jointer with rare earth magnets.(easily removeable). The very top edge of the jointer's auxillary fence has "slippery" plastic. The height of this edge is exactly the height of the table saw surface. Now when crosscutting long boards with the miter gauge of the table saw, the jointers slippery fence supports the long board.
It's a nice placement too because, just as soon as I joint the edge of a board to be ripped, I just turn 180 degrees and I'm facing the table saw. This really cut down on steps taken between jointing an edge and ripping on the saw.
Something for you to consider.
Don

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
This is a good tip and I've seen it done a number of times. In most cases, however, the table saw will need to be raised to insure that the jointer fence is not taller than the table saw table surface. Also, many jointers have a knob on the top of the fence that would need to be removed. That knob is generally for use when adjusting the angle of the fence relative to the tables, so having it off is not normally an issue, but it would be of consideration to anyone who "edge joints on the bevel" with any frequency.

Steve Clardy
02-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Mine sits between the radial arm saw and table saw. To the left rear of the table saw.
Rough cut lumber, joint one side, then rip on table saw. I have a rather large table saw surface. 30" to the left of blade, 36" to the right. PLus I have a rolling table for support to the left of saw if more is needed. This table has 6 metal ball rollers mounted on it, for supporting end cutting plywood.