PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive lidded box

Curt Fuller
05-30-2011, 3:12 PM
I had this piece of Russian Olive with a little burl but with an very irregular shape. I've been looking at it for quite a while trying to decide what to do with it. It also had a few significant cracks running through it that made me wonder if it would even stay together when I started working on it. When I finally started on it, it was going to be a natural edged vase. But then when it got down into it I thought it would look good with a lid down in and a tall finial sticking out, and maybe sitting on a base. So this is what it ended up as. It's 11.5" to the top of the finial, about 5.5" wide. The base and finial are dyed black. The cracks are filled with russian olive dust and CA. In the pics the finial looks crooked, it may be but it's not glued in yet so it either isn't sitting in the hole right or may it is just crooked. I'll have to check it out.

196396 196397 196398 196399

Cory Norgart
05-30-2011, 3:16 PM
Very nice Curt. I really like the natural edge and the finial lid inside. Very eye catching.

David E Keller
05-30-2011, 3:19 PM
I think this is cool, Curt. I love the big burly wing sticking up, and the finial and base are nicely proportioned. For some reason, the form reminds me of a modern chair... Did Rick Moranis' character in Spaceballs sit in a chair shaped like this?

Steve bellinger
05-30-2011, 4:13 PM
Curt i don't think any one could do better than that. Stuff like this makes me want to run back to the shop and never come back in the house.excellent job.

Michael James
05-30-2011, 5:16 PM
Extraordinary and unique! Very nice piece, thanks for posting!

Jim Burr
05-30-2011, 5:22 PM
When I first opened this, it looked just like a huge chocolate milkshake...I love chocolate milkshakes!! Everything works very well together Curt. I'm glad you waited and came up with this!!

Roger Chandler
05-30-2011, 5:23 PM
Very nice work here, Curt............I think you did a fine job bringing out the potential of this Russian Olive. Very striking grain and your natural edge adds to the piece. I like your pedestal base.........elegant and simple at the same time, and your proportions on the finial in relation to the form is very good.

Conceptually, a well thought out piece, and finely executed in the turning............I give this one an A+!

Tim Thiebaut
05-30-2011, 6:50 PM
I love it, you did an awesome job on this! I want to do one of these very badly....soon.

John Keeton
05-30-2011, 7:55 PM
Curt, this is really a very interesting piece! The wood is just beautiful - you have done some great stuff with the Russian Olive. I need to find me some of that stuff!

I like the extreme changes in the NE, and the style of the finial is perfect for this one. Great job!

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2011, 8:02 PM
Great looking box Curt. I really like the deeply recessed lid and finial.

Dave Morrow
05-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Great work. I love it. It's very unique.

Baxter Smith
05-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Great box Curt. The variation in the NE makes this striking!

Scott Hackler
05-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Love it! It is really cool how you were able to use the NE in this way. Nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
05-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Curt - that is sweet! It's got everything going for it - NE, finial, pedestal and rich grain! You should be very happy with this one!

Kathy Marshall
05-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Very cool piece Curt! Ditto what everyone else said!

John Hart
05-31-2011, 6:52 AM
Excellent Mr. Fuller!! Almost looks like a chair! My favorite view is pic #4. It shows off the most stuff. It looks like a small piece, but that thing is pretty big. It's gotta be impressive in person. Nice!

Dan Forman
05-31-2011, 2:08 PM
Really like this interesting piece!

Dan

bob svoboda
05-31-2011, 4:42 PM
That's a real looker, Curt. Very nicely done.

Roland Martin
05-31-2011, 5:26 PM
WOW!! This is really neat, Curt. Every angle offers a spectacular view of this form. I commend you for being able to turn this quite deep form and keep the natural edge together:eek:. Thanks for showing us this beauty.

jwjerry w kowalski
05-31-2011, 5:40 PM
Man Curt, that is one pretty piece! I think putting a lid on it made it one of kind and calls attention to the overall form and what beautiful wood, great idea!