PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer wiring issue

Kerry Adams
05-30-2011, 2:42 PM
On the way to crazy land -please help!LOL I have put in new wiring harness and new lights. I also ran two more ground wires to each light, so at the front coupling I have two whites going to the single white on the harness. If I connect all that, am I grounded or do I have to run that single wire to the ground bolt and then run the separate wires to the bolt also?

Thanks,
Kerry

Chuck Wintle
05-30-2011, 2:52 PM
normally all grounding is done thru the chassis of the trailer but to answer your question, yes, its all likely grounded.

Paul Ryan
05-30-2011, 8:25 PM
Kerry,

You can just use the single wire and you should be grounded. But to save trouble in the future multiple grounding is not a bad idea. One of the most common troubles with trailer wiring is rusty or corroded grounds. A single ground is usually used for the entire trailer but if you ground each light independently (to the trailer chassis) that should save trouble if you end up with one bad ground in the future. The lights could be grounded with there own bolt ground near the light instead of running the wire all the way back to the "main" ground.