PDA

View Full Version : Bleached Red Oak HF

Jason Silva
05-30-2011, 2:37 PM
This piece of worm eaten red oak was recalimed from a recent tree knocked down from a storm. It was turned on a lathe, hollowed, carved and sandblasted. To finish it off, i textured the surface with a wire brush and then bleached it white. Note the opening at the top is offset from the center just a bit to give it an out of balance feel.

5" tall

Comments and critiques welcome.

David E Keller
05-30-2011, 3:11 PM
I think this is really cool, Jason. The carving and texturing look really good, and I like the small, offset opening. Man, you really put some time into your pieces, and it shows. Thanks for sharing.

Cory Norgart
05-30-2011, 3:13 PM
Wow Jason. Ive never seen anything like that before. Top Notch!!!! I like the offset turning form. Sweet!!!!!!

charlie knighton
05-30-2011, 4:49 PM
very nice,

is it hollowed thru the bottom????

Al Wasser
05-30-2011, 6:13 PM
Looks like you went to the grocery store and bought one of those white acorn squash --- a copy of mother nature that looks real

David DeCristoforo
05-30-2011, 7:30 PM
Acorn squash! That's just what I thought as soon as I saw this. But it's kind of a "bizzaro" acorn squash. Very cool!

John Keeton
05-30-2011, 7:46 PM
Jason, looks like this piece has weathered in the sun for years! Great piece, and a really nice finish on it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Very cool! I like your carving and the overall offset flow to the piece. The bleaching adds a sense of mystery to the form by masking what it was made out of. Really nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Jason Silva
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks all!

Dan Forman
05-31-2011, 1:57 PM
Squash is the first thing that popped into my head too. Very nice.

Dan

robert raess
05-31-2011, 2:24 PM
Hey Jason..did you use a 2-part bleach?I like the thinking out of the box, both the side tilt,the bleach and the diff. textures.Did you use sand? what grit?I'm getting ready to sandblast a pc...You did good!......Rob

Jason Silva
06-01-2011, 1:19 PM
Hey Jason..did you use a 2-part bleach?I like the thinking out of the box, both the side tilt,the bleach and the diff. textures.Did you use sand? what grit?I'm getting ready to sandblast a pc...You did good!......Rob
Robert...Yes i used a two part bleach. Ive recently learned to pour small amounts of each into seperate dishes and apply from there. I used to take a brush, dip it into the part A container, coat my piece and then use the same brush and dip it into the part B container. This quickly ruins the bleaching properties of the solution. Not i dont cross contaminate the chemicals and the solution lasts much longer.

I used a sandblaster with white oxide 70 grit...i think. Works great...its hell on my little craftsman compresor though.

very nice,

is it hollowed thru the bottom????

Charlie...Yes, its hollowed from the bottom and then the top is carved off set. I drilled a small opening thru the center of the growth rings.

Thanks all for your kind words of encouragement.
Back to the shop i go!

Bob Bergstrom
06-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I like it. Quite unique and creative. The bleach job really makes it a piece of art.