PDA

View Full Version : Makita 10" Dual Compoiund Slider - Should I grab it?

Glen Blanchard
05-30-2011, 9:42 AM
I have been wanting to replace my 10" non-sliding Ridgid compound miter saw, and had been looking at both the Festool and new Bosch, although I'd prefer a 10". Walking through Home Depot the other day, I see that they have reduced the Makita LS1016L 10" dual compound slider from $530 to $380, which has me reconsidering my purchase.

What do owners of this saw think?

Paul Girouard
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
We had one of these a where I work. It's a great cutting saw BUT it has a weak link / bad design in the locking mechanism that locks the table to different angles.

I replaced the whole works once table , lock mechanism , handle etc. within 6 months the table would not lock in any "off" detente setting. If they could figure that one , use harder metal on the dog that wears out maybe? Re-design that system it would be a very nice saw.

Maybe you'll have better luck with it if you are the only one using the saw and you force yourself into FULLY backing off the tension on the handle before you move the saw table. But as a site saw with multiple carpenters using the saw that was not controllable.

Good luck , it seems like a good price for the saw.

Peter Quinn
05-30-2011, 12:45 PM
I have that saw in a one man part time cabinet shop and its a gem for me. They made a lot of nice refinements versus the previous incarnation which I owned also. Its got more depth, its quieter, and I actually like the laser for some things. The up front controls are easier on the eyes and hands too. Overall its a very accurate and pleasant tool to use for my situation. I've never though of the makita sliders past or present as a good "carpenters" tool frankly, they don't take transport well, and they aren't really built in a way that makes them durable on a multi man site. I have no trouble believing Paul's comments above in that regard, so if that is your intended use, you may want to reconsider. But as a fixed in place tool on a miter saw bench in the shop, with very occasional trips to a site, its a pretty good unit, and that is a sweet price.

Glen Blanchard
05-30-2011, 1:14 PM
Thanks guys. It's such a good price that I bought one this morning. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. It will be fixed in a miter saw station and never transported. Serious hobby (one-man) use only. It's sitting in its box in the garage pending sufficient positive feedback to warrant keeping it. Then I'll have to find time to slightly rearrange the miter saw station to accommodate it.

Gregory King
05-30-2011, 1:17 PM
Yes, grab one and if you can swing the stand as well you won't be disappointed. I bought the same set a year ago to do some hardware flooring and it works awesome. Makita has made some great strides in design and power. I can remember guite a few years ago when they had the 14" chop saw. The motor was basically the same as smaller versions and was way under power. Recalled it lagged badly under load.

Paul Snowden
05-30-2011, 4:09 PM
I called my HD and it's still 499 :(

Glen Blanchard
05-30-2011, 5:47 PM
Paul – This is how it played out this morning. I called my McKinney Home Depot this morning to confirm the model number and price (this is the store that I most frequent, and as a result, the store in which I saw this reduced price). Confirmed the model and price. Next to confirm was the in stock quantity. They have only the display. I asked if the reason for the lower price was because it’s just a display. I was told that they issued the new price when they still had one or two in boxes. He then asked if I would like him to check other stores, which I did. McKinney store #2 has 3 I was told. I drive to that store. Yep, 2 in boxes. The price however was $499. I requested some help and told the guy that I would like him to check the price as I think it is in error. He checks the computer which shows $499. I explain about the McKinney store #1 price. He calls that store and confirms the price of $379. Now he calls the store manager and explains the whole thing and is told to issue a price drop of $120. We place one on a cart and take it to the customer service desk where he tells the guy there what has transpired. The price is reduced by $120 and I walk out with a brand new, boxed Makita. Nobody could ever explain why the computer system (which supposedly accesses the same database) showed 2 different prices. I don’t know if this strategy would work for you or not (as you are out of state) but it might be worth a try. If needed, I can email you a copy of the receipt.

Paul Snowden
05-30-2011, 7:08 PM
Thanks. I'll let you know if I need a receipt copy but first I'll try calling the HD and talking to a manager. I've never had any luck getting these stores to price match from around the county (Aka...the Planer/Jointer deal from about a year ago).

William Burgess
05-30-2011, 8:25 PM
I own one and I really like it. I upgraded from a cheap little 10 inch craftsman and this thing rocks. The laser sight is very accurate and very useful. The dust collection is ok, I hooked a shop vac up to the bag spot and that seems to help a bit. I am a hobby wood worker so I don't use it much, but when I use it, it rocks. I specifically bought this one because it would cut 4x4s in one pull and it does a great job at that. I would have to say the thing is not portable, its heavy and awkward. But if you are keeping it mounted on a miter saw stand I think you will be very happy with it.

C Scott McDonald
05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
I have looked at them at a couple of stores and the all had really "bumpy" bearings on on of the arms. Does that go away after some use?

McKay Sleight
05-31-2011, 11:43 AM
I have used the Makita for many years and actually traded the school's Bosch saw for a new Makita. I have personally owned the Dewalt, (which I liked), and the Bosch (which I did not care for). I have never had any issues with the Makita except where the students tilted the head of the saw and did not move the fence to accommodate the head tilt. (after the second time that this happened I removed the ability of the head to tilt.) I learned to cut crown the old way without the tilting head and still prefer the method. My feeling is that the less you move the head, the less chance to have a measurement error.
At the present time, I feel that Makita makes the best quality SCS on the market

Matthew Hills
06-06-2011, 3:11 PM
Has anyone else been finding these no-stock closeouts at their local Home Depots?

Matt