PDA

View Full Version : PC 557 only joiner to use FF biscuits?

Bobby O'Neal
05-30-2011, 8:26 AM
I will be purchasing a biscuit joiner for an upcoming project. Its a wall unit with face frames involved. Obviously, the 557 looks attractive but I'm wondering if anybody else makes a joiner that can use the FF biscuits? I'd love to find a used one if anybody is getting rid of it, wink wink, hint hint. Thanks

Bobby

david brum
05-30-2011, 9:53 AM
Ryobi used to make a "detail biscuit jointer", intended for small projects like you're describing. You could probably pick up a used one for under $50. They are all over the bay and often appear on craigslist. I'd personally hold out for the Porter Cable though. I have one which has helped me build scads of cabinets, etc. Works great. Even the dust extraction is good.

Curt Harms
05-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Ryobi used to make a "detail biscuit jointer", intended for small projects like you're describing. You could probably pick up a used one for under $50. They are all over the bay and often appear on craigslist. I'd personally hold out for the Porter Cable though. I have one which has helped me build scads of cabinets, etc. Works great. Even the dust extraction is good. The dust collection is excellent--if it's hooked up to a vacuum. I tried the bag when I first got it and wasn't all that thrilled. Maybe I didn't have it attached correctly, dunno.

Mike Henderson
05-30-2011, 11:44 AM
It's the only one I know of that cuts FF slots. But when I've needed FF slots, I've been able to plan my work and cut them with a slot cutter on my router table. But if you have to cut them on an assembled project you need the portable unit.

I have a DeWalt biscuit joiner and don't use it very much. Next to my hand held power planer, it's one of the least used tools in my shop.

Mike

Bobby O'Neal
05-30-2011, 2:00 PM
I'm going with the 557, either way I think. It seems to be a solid unit, of the "old" PC lineage. I found one in a local CL ad for $130 with "several hundred biscuits" but haven't heard back from him. We'll see. I'd be pleased with that price.

Chip Lindley
05-30-2011, 3:43 PM
Check which "type" 557 you will be buying used. There were problems with the P-C 557 Type 2. Here is a thread concerning all that;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162663-Porter-Cable-Biscuit-Joiner-557/page2

I have a Lamello Jr. that will run for ever! But, it lacks the rack and pinion fence aligner. A used DeWalt biscuit joiner bargain off ebay serves me very well for other quickly adjustable tasks. I'd love to have a P-C 557 also, but just havn't been at the right place at the right time...yet!

Don Selke
05-30-2011, 4:10 PM
I also have the PC 557 and it has been a real work horse in the shop. I bought the discontinued Ryobi unit for a large number of picture frames that I had to make. It works well for small work but I am having a problem finding replacement biscuits for it. Sears no longer has the biscuits and the big box store does not carry them any more as well..

Dan Barber1
05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I also have the PC 557 and it has been a real work horse in the shop. I bought the discontinued Ryobi unit for a large number of picture frames that I had to make. It works well for small work but I am having a problem finding replacement biscuits for it. Sears no longer has the biscuits and the big box store does not carry them any more as well..

I saw some of those small biscuits today at a Lowes in Columbia, TN. They were made by Bosch.

Phil Thien
05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
I saw some of those small biscuits today at a Lowes in Columbia, TN. They were made by Bosch.

Yeah, someone explain THAT to me. To the best of my knowledge, Bosch doesn't make anything that will cut FF biscuits.