PDA

View Full Version : Don't count them untill they hatch.

Allan Ferguson
05-30-2011, 8:12 AM
Small turned eggs. Assorted woods.

John Keeton
05-30-2011, 8:19 AM
Nice work, Allan! I love the various species. The egg is a challenging shape - just working on my first one as we speak. I did a search for images of eggs, and the forms are about as varied as any I have seen - and none of them are anything like a real egg! I prefer the variations better than the one the chicken turned out.:confused::)

Greg Just
05-30-2011, 8:51 AM
Nice bowl of eggs. John is right in that the shape is challenging. There is not one flat spot and the curves need to be just right for the egg to look right. I took a class a few years ago and one of the exercises was to turn an egg. I recommend that everyone try one. Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2011, 9:03 AM
Nice variety of woods and form! Have not tried turning an egg yet cause I'm not sure how I would hollow it - but could be something challenging! Nice work!

Greg Just
05-30-2011, 9:13 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Schlumpf ......cause I'm not sure how I would hollow it .....

Steve - I don't hollow my eggs - maybe I should try

David E Keller
05-30-2011, 9:23 AM
This is one of my favorite things to do with little blocks of pretty wood. Steve, they can be hollowed in halves and then joined to finish much like a lidded box. I did one recently for my daughter, and I glued the two halves together after adding a dozen BBs... She loves playing with the eggs and banging them together.

Bob Haverstock
05-30-2011, 9:36 AM
Eggs are my warm up exercise. Almost every day that I turn, I start with an egg. Your egg turnings are very attractive. Eggs are great canidates for finish experimentations.

This year, I met up with one of my classmates from high school, who is a second grade elementary teacher. I set her emough eggs that she could give each of her students one for Easter. She later told me that the ypung student really liked them and some of her peers were somewhat envious.

My personnal favorite egg is one that I turned from a piece of box elder. For turning eggs I use a spatula,, I mean a Bedan tool. It has Mylands friction finish and the side of it is rotted away. It is my bloody rotten egg.

Bob Haverstock

John Keeton
05-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Bob, perhaps some practice eggs would have been a good exercise prior to doing the one I am working on!! Good idea, and good use for odd wood pieces as David said.

Lee Koepke
05-30-2011, 11:23 AM
It also appears you have all your eggs in one basket. :D

Nate Davey
05-30-2011, 11:31 AM
And a lovely basket it is with lovely eggs although one looks like a Balut Egg.

Jim Underwood
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
If they hatch, wouldn't it be too late to count them?

Bob Haverstock
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
It also appears you have all your eggs in one basket. :D

Well, sometimes, 196386 but,not always.

Bob Haverstock

Raymond Sprouse
05-30-2011, 1:30 PM
How about some omelets??

Bob Haverstock
05-30-2011, 1:38 PM
How about some omelets??

That sounds Eggcellent! 196391Don't use this one!

Bob Haverstock