PDA

View Full Version : Pony Clamps slipping ?

Randy Gazda
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I have used Pony clamps for years, with black pipe 3/4". Some of my clamps have started to slip. Is there an easy fix for this without buying new clamps?$ :eek: $

Bruce Kohl
05-30-2011, 12:43 AM
You can replace the plates that bite into the pipe to secure the clamp as they become worn. They are the silver colored round disks with ears that you use to set the clamps - don't know what they're called. I mentioned the slipping to the manager at the yard where I buy my wood, and he suggested to replace the disks. He had some replacement disks in stock, so now the Pony clamps are good as new. I'm sure you can get information on them from the Jorgenson web site.

Ed Edwards
05-30-2011, 2:34 AM
If I remember correctly, the instructions indicate you can just turn the plates or leaves 180 degrees. that way you'll have a completly new biting edge.

Rick Christopherson
05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
The clutch plates are stamped steel so they have a rounded edge and a sharp edge. Flipping them around will not correct the problem. One simple fix if they are not too severe is to simply rotate the order--move the first one to the back. Another trick is to pre-load the disks while tighten the clamp--press your thumb between the top tab and the tail of the clamp as you begin tightening. I've never tried this, but you can also try sharpening the edge. It doesn't need to be super sharp, just enough to provide some bite.

eugene thomas
05-30-2011, 6:08 PM
I had slipping problem and jsut flipped the plates 180 deg and still usiong them. no slip...

dave toney
05-30-2011, 7:10 PM
I had slipping problem and jsut flipped the plates 180 deg and still usiong them. no slip...
Same here.

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2011, 10:18 PM
You can turn the clutch plates over. You can also take a chain saw file, and sharpen them