PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Cuts with Versalaser ??

Johnson Gordon
05-29-2011, 9:24 PM
Hi, I've done a search in this forum but haven't found the right combination of words to come up with an answer. Google searching has also come up with nothing. So, here's my question:

I have a Versalaser for personal use. I am cutting through some foam that requires me to do the cutting in six passes. I do this by pressing the start button after each cut. This works, but requires me to watch the cutter and when it's done each time press the start button again. What I'd like to do is tell the lasercutter to do six cuts in a row, and I only have to press the start button once. I'd still be in the workshop monitoring the cutter, but could be doing other things.

I've tried putting more copies in the print dialogue box that comes up when I send the job to the cutter. But, it ignores this and just prints once. I've also read through my Versalaser documentation, which is pretty basic. And, I've looked on the Universal Laser Systems web site and can't find any answers.

Can this be done, doing multiple cuts with one press of the start button? Or, is it just not possible with a Versalaser?

Thanks,
Gordon

Howard Garner
05-29-2011, 9:37 PM
If you are using the Materials Driver, then I do not know of an easy solution
If you are using the advanced driver, then duplicate the cut lines and change the colors.
Then in the driver setup, have each of the colors set to vector. You could also adjust the material thickness at this point.
The Advanced Driver will then cut the pattern in the order of the colors.

Howard Garner
30 watt VL300

Johnson Gordon
05-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Howard,
Thanks for the quick answer. I am using the Advanced Driver. I just went down to my workshop and tried your solution. It works like a champ. Now I'm off to cutting some airplane skeletons.

Here's what I'm cutting: a skeleton for lightweight Pitts Special.

Gordon

Scott Shepherd
05-30-2011, 9:33 AM
Gordon, what you tried should work as well. I have done it a number of times. In the print dialogue box, you put "5" in the number of prints and it'll cut it 5 times. Are you saying that doesn't work for you?

Bruce Volden
05-30-2011, 9:49 AM
I think I've also read here where people have simply "+'d" the number of times they wanted the file printed. This amounted to having X # of copies on top of the original and Corel sends them to the print driver where they are printed that number of times. HTH

Bruce

Richard Rumancik
05-30-2011, 2:33 PM
Gordon

Looks like when you registered they got your surname and first name interchanged. You might want to get this fixed . . .

I'll ask you a question . . . why is it taking 6 passes on this foam? Since you are not refocussing between passes it seems like it will cut only a small depth per pass. How thick is it and what material is it? If you want to save time, you really need to figure out how to cut in fewer passes . . .

Perhaps you should be focusing 1/3 or 1/2 way into the material. The other option is to use a longer FL lens. What are you using now? Seems to me that maybe the FL is too short. You could consider a 3" FL or 4" FL lens.

Johnson Gordon
05-30-2011, 4:32 PM
Gordon, what you tried should work as well. I have done it a number of times. In the print dialogue box, you put "5" in the number of prints and it'll cut it 5 times. Are you saying that doesn't work for you?

Yes, that's right, that doesn't work for me. I tried putting 6 in the number of prints, it does the first pass, and then stops. I'm using a VL300 with Windows XP and Corel draw. Nothing out of the ordinary. If you have a suggestion for how to get it to work via the print driver I'd love to know. It's annoying that it doesn't work, and this is with a computer bought specifically to drive the laser, and has never done anything else, not even hooked up to the internet.

Gordon

Scott Shepherd
05-30-2011, 8:02 PM
Gordon, I'm not too familiar with the VL series, but isn't that the basic model? I ask because I seem to recall in the early days, that driver was scaled back and did not include many features the PLS series had. I wonder if that's the case. Is your driver up to date? If so, which version of the driver is it?

I'm only guessing at this point.

Johnson Gordon
05-30-2011, 8:13 PM
You are right they have a scaled back simpler driver. But, they also have the advanced driver, which I am using. However you raise a good point. That software is 5 years old. I'll have to check and see what happens if I upgrade the driver software. Thanks for thinking of that.

Gordon