PDA

View Full Version : cole jaw set

Robert Culver
05-29-2011, 8:42 PM
Ok so Im getting ready to make my last purchase for my lathe for a while Im looking at cole jaws sets. I have the g3 delta (nova) chuck for my lathe and what I am wondering is will the PSI cole jaws work on the G3 Chuck or do I have to stick with nova?

John Keeton
05-29-2011, 9:14 PM
Nope! All the PSI stuff is proprietary, though I think someone said it was compatible with one of the other chucks, but not Nova. Rob, when I first started turning I got the Cole jaws, and they do come in handy. I haven't used them in many months, and ended up selling them. I do have the mini Cole jaws, but they are still in the box.

Honestly, you can do so much more with a donut chuck. Not to say the Cole jaws aren't useful, but they are limited somewhat to pieces that have defined rims, or in expansion mode for a larger opening on a piece. I think a Longworth chuck would be more useful, too.

What are you going to use them for?

Robert Culver
05-29-2011, 9:25 PM
John I plan to use them to finish the back sides of turkey pots and bowls I know you can turn a tenon on the bottom and use the standard jaws it somthing I have been batting around in my head for a day or three. What is a donut chuck and longworth chuck???

Robert Culver
05-29-2011, 9:45 PM
ahhhh did a search I can see how a these to chucks a handy the longworth would be capable of some cool stuff thanks for the info.