PDA

View Full Version : what to use after stripping with chemical stripper?

Suzanne M Thomas
05-29-2011, 7:56 PM
One more question from this novice; After using the chemical stripper on the furniture what do I use? The can said to clean it off with a rag dampened with mineral spirits, which I did and I then followed that with a rag dampened with water and wiped it all down. Is this all I need to do before staining? Will this "neutralize" the checmicals? Thanks again for any advice :confused:!

Tony Bilello
05-29-2011, 8:30 PM
.... The can said to clean it off with a rag dampened with mineral spirits, and I then followed that with a rag dampened with water and wiped it all down. ....!

I don't know what chemical stripper you used. I am only familiar with stripper that has methylene chloride as the main chemical. If that be the case, it can be neutralized by either lacquer thinner or water. When it dries, if all of the surface feels clean, new and dry then go ahead and start sanding and get ready for staining.
If you have any slick spots then it's either more stripper or heavier sanding.
You can also use TSP as an after wash, but it is not necesary. It will brighten up the wood some but it wont clean it any better if you didnt get it stripped right to begin with.

Steven Hsieh
05-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Mineral spirit and lacquer thinner will remove the stripper.
But I use acetone be because I hate waiting for other solvents to dry.:rolleyes:
Clean with scotch pads.

dave toney
05-30-2011, 7:26 PM
I use a rag with mineral spirits followed by wiping with a clean dry rag.
Mineral spirits won't flash off as quickly as lacquer thinner and you can wipe a larger area before your rag gets too dry.
Almost all chemicals used in refinishing are toxic, but mineral spirits is not as bad as lacquer thinner.
BTW, I have found that when putting lacquer over a piece that has been stripped, and it has spots that don't seem to want to fully dry, that wiping the lacquer with a fairly damp rag (wet and rung out), very lightly, will almost always make the finish dry hard after a minute or two.
Dave

Howard Acheson
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Follow the instructions on the label of the stripper you are using. Some want a wipe down with mineral spirits, some use water. It's best not to use both. Most methylene chloride strippers contain a wax to sort of seal the stripper from air as it works to dissolve the finish. The reason for the mineral spirit wipe down is to remove any of the residual wax.

Steve Schoene
06-08-2011, 4:53 PM
You don't want to be using a rag until it is dry. Each wipe over the surface needs to be on a fresh face of the rag. Otherwise you are essentially just spreading the wax and residuals around.

Rich Engelhardt
06-08-2011, 6:57 PM
Bingo - +3, the last two guys nailed it.