PDA

View Full Version : B&D Workmate Alternative?

Jim Fancher
02-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I can't seem to find a workmate 225 locally. What other brands are good?

The Skil table that Lowes carries is fairly nice. I haven't seen it up close though.
I know HF has a really cheap model too. I might swing by there to take a look at it.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
A workmate is handy, I have looked at the model at HF as well... it looks just as well as mine.

Frank Pellow
02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
:D How about the Festool Multi-Function Table? :D

Jim Fancher
02-08-2005, 11:33 AM
:D How about the Festool Multi-Function Table? :D
As much as I'd love to have that and a bunch of those nifty boxes, my checkbook and I will have to pass. :)

Michael Ballent
02-08-2005, 1:09 PM
There really is not substitute to the workmate :) I have 2 and I am constantly finding new ways to fall in love with the thing :D Have you checked to see if there is a B&D outlet store? Sears (shudder), Lowes, HD, Menards, Ace, Tru-Value (Are they still around?)

Jim Fancher
02-08-2005, 1:17 PM
Sears has a 225 for $50, but no stores have it in stock. They'd have to get it from the warehouse. I believe it's single hand clamping and black table top pieces (MDF?). I think it comes with the dogs also. Not bad.

None of the hardware stores locally have them in stock. It's a special order item.

Amazon is $60 delivered. There are a few horror stories of pieces arriving broken. That's why I wanted it local.

I may end up with the Sears unit. I could always make my own hardwood top.

Colin Gilkes
02-08-2005, 7:49 PM
I'm not sure if you can get Wolfcraft gear in the States but I have their Master 800 workbench and it's brilliant - I swapped it for a B&D unit which I was not impressed with at all, I've also got their Mastercut 1000 which allow mounting of a circular saw which is great for site work.

Jim Fancher
02-09-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if you can get Wolfcraft gear in the States but I have their Master 800 workbench and it's brilliant - I swapped it for a B&D unit which I was not impressed with at all, I've also got their Mastercut 1000 which allow mounting of a circular saw which is great for site work.
Thanks for the heads up, Colin! I ended up buying the Wolfcraft 6136 off of Ebay directly from Wolfcraft North America. The more I read about it, the more I liked the features.

I'll be writing a review of the 6136 as well as the 4 pack of clamps that I got from them for my site.

http://www.wolfcraft.com/images/photographs/6136-WorkCenter-fadeTilt.jpg

Jack Hogoboom
02-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Looks like a sweet unit. Let us know how you like it.

Jack

Frank Pellow
02-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Colin! I ended up buying the Wolfcraft 6136 off of Ebay directly from Wolfcraft North America. The more I read about it, the more I liked the features.

I'll be writing a review of the 6136 as well as the 4 pack of clamps that I got from them for my site.

Hey, that looks good Jim. Please let us know when your review is available.

Ellen Benkin
02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
How much did it cost?

Jim Fancher
02-09-2005, 11:50 AM
How much did it cost?$34.99 + $15.35 shipping ... but, because I bought two items at the "Buy It Now" price, I got free shipping. I got the table and a set of clamps for $47.49 shipped.

The clamp set (two 12" and two 4.5") that I bought along with the table:

Frank Pellow
02-09-2005, 12:08 PM
It the Wolfcraft web site does not say what material is used for the table top. If it is plywood wood, I would consider buying the table. Jim. what material is used?

Jim Fancher
02-09-2005, 2:53 PM
It the Wolfcraft web site does not say what amterial is used for the table top. If it is plywood wood, I would consider buying the table. Jim. what material is used?
It's laminated MDF. I knew this going into it. I'll use it until it crumbles, then replace the top.

Lynn Kasdorf
02-09-2005, 3:03 PM
I had to buy a new switch for my industrial B&D 9" angle grinder, so I called B&D parts. I ordered the switch, and the woman on the phone asked if I was interedt in any of their weekly specials.

One of them was an original workmate (model 125 maybe?) for something like $22 delivered. I said, sure, why not. They may have the fancier models on special periodically as well. The shipping ended up being rolled into the $6.00 shipping on the switch.

Just a thought. There are very few B&D products I will buy...the workmates are handy though. OF course, one of the plastic handles cracked while I was assembling!

Frank Pellow
02-09-2005, 3:13 PM
It's laminated MDF. I knew this going into it. I'll use it until it crumbles, then replace the top.
I was afraid of that. I would want to use the thing outside, so I guess I will give it a miss.

Jim Fancher
02-09-2005, 3:27 PM
I was afraid of that. I would want to use the thing outside, so I guess I will give it a miss.
I think the Sears version of the Workmate comes with MDF tops as well. I was just about to order that one when I came across the Wolfcraft unit. I was prepared to replace the MDF with a custom hardwood top or even plywood with plastic laminate to match my router table.

I just didn't want the plastic topped HD unit. I think that's the Workmate 375. One summer in my Texas garage and it would warped.

Jim Fancher
02-09-2005, 8:50 PM
There was a Harbor Freight flyer in the mail today when I got home. Wouldn't you know it, the "Quick Action 8-Position Workbench" is half price. It's marked down from $25.99 to $12.99.

How could I resist? I ran over 4 minutes before they closed and picked one up. I'll assemble it this weekend and test it out. This should be good. I opened the end of the box and the first thing I noticed was the top ... imitation wood over MDF. Ya gotta love it. :D Eh, if it holds a beer and a magazine, it might be worth the $12.99.

Bob Aquino
02-10-2005, 9:36 AM
Lynn

Do you have the phone number, I have an old workmate, wouldnt mine anohter new one.

Bob

Rick Sharp
02-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Just checked out the harbor freight web site and the old price is back up!! I f anyone sees more deals like this one let me know please.

Matt Meiser
02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Just checked out the harbor freight web site and the old price is back up!! I f anyone sees more deals like this one let me know please.

Their online prices and store prices typically differ. I think Jim got a store flyer and bought it there.

Ellen Benkin
02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
The HF version looks great. It looks like the good old original Workmate to me. Mine has lasted for more than 25 years, so I'd gladly invest in a "new" one.

Jim Fancher
02-10-2005, 2:01 PM
Yep, this is an in-store price from a flyer that I got in the mail yesterday. I think it's half priced until the end of the month. I'm not 100% sure of that date though. I'll have assembly pics of it this weekend. I'm curious about the quality and how it compares to the Wolfcraft that I'm getting.