PDA

View Full Version : Welding MiG Welder ideas & amperage needs

Mac McQuinn
05-29-2011, 7:04 PM
I would like to purchase a new Mig Welder with something around 160 to 200 amps although have been out of the loop for quite a while. Can anyone recommend anything specific? Will be working on mostly 22 ga. sheet metal up to 1/4" steel for restoration and general fabrication purposes. I have 220V in the garage although not sure if it can supply enough amperage for bigger machine. What size wiring/breaker should i be looking at?

Thanks,
Mac

Eric DeSilva
05-29-2011, 9:15 PM
I've got a 220V 30A line, and run a Miller 211 Auto-Set. When I was shopping, I found that almost everyone specs input power requirements on the web pages. The 211 is 25A at 220V and does 3/8", their 180 is 22A at 220V and does 5/16". Dunno whether you have a brand in mind, but I'm quite happy with my Miller.

Matt Meiser
05-29-2011, 9:42 PM
220 30a here too. I've got a Hobart Handler 180, which was replaced by the 187. Great machine for my needs. I've welded everything from sheetmetal to rebuilding the braketry on a couple of my tractor implements to make them fit my 3pt quick hitch with great success.

My brother has the 140 and its been good for him too.

Thomas Bank
05-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Miller, Lincoln, Hobart - all make a good machine. About the same as Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. All have their fans and their detractors. I doubt that you'd go wrong with any of them. The main advantage over other brands - particularly the imports - is the availability of consumables and replacement parts. I can walk into my local welding supply and either get what I need or have it on order in short order.

My recommendation would be a 220V machine mainly due to duty cycle. Just look at something like the Millermatic 211 - which is a dual voltage machine that will run on either 110V or 220V. On 110V you'll get 20% duty cycle at 90 amps - enough to 3/16" material. The same machine at 220V will give you 30% duty cycle at 150amps - enough to do 3/8" material for 10% longer.

I'm running a 250amp Millermatic. Rarely do I use it in "full power," but in the ranges I do use it regularly I have 100% duty cycle or nearly so. Light stuff and the internal fan doesn't even come on a lot of the time.

Mac McQuinn
05-30-2011, 9:53 AM
I'm not really partial to any brand although will focus on the US made machines only. I've always like the arc characteristics of the older Miller machines although after a trip to nearest supply house the Lincolns look well thought out to me. Unfortunately I could not try anything out. I currently have a 20 year old Lincoln SP100 which once set up for my use has served me well. I used the optional 20 amp cord & plug which really made it a great 110V machine. For deeper penetration I use the Flux-core wire. Good machine although now I need additional power and finesse......I feel I may have to up size my current wiring as it's only @ 12/3 w/ G for my air compressor and heater. Plus it has to run 70 ' to my plug.....

Thanks, Mac

Thomas Bank
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
The other thing I'll say is that currently all my machines were bought used - MM250X for MIG, Syncrowave 250DX for TIG, and a Hypertherm 1100 for plasma cutting. I spent less than half the cost of new for each machine and, as I said, being able to oversize things means I rarely run into duty cycle issues.

It may take some looking to find what you want, but with the current economy there are units out there for sale if you're looking.

Mac McQuinn
05-30-2011, 2:53 PM
Thanks for the info,
I've been watching the local C/L although nothing too exciting yet. I have my son watching too in his part of the country. Lincoln does have some pretty good deals going on now w/ rebates and the net seems to offer pretty good discounts on the machines I've checked out.

Mac

The other thing I'll say is that currently all my machines were bought used - MM250X for MIG, Syncrowave 250DX for TIG, and a Hypertherm 1100 for plasma cutting. I spent less than half the cost of new for each machine and, as I said, being able to oversize things means I rarely run into duty cycle issues.

It may take some looking to find what you want, but with the current economy there are units out there for sale if you're looking.

Scott T Smith
05-30-2011, 5:07 PM
Miller, Lincoln, Hobart - all make a good machine. About the same as Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. All have their fans and their detractors. I doubt that you'd go wrong with any of them. The main advantage over other brands - particularly the imports - is the availability of consumables and replacement parts. I can walk into my local welding supply and either get what I need or have it on order in short order.

My recommendation would be a 220V machine mainly due to duty cycle. Just look at something like the Millermatic 211 - which is a dual voltage machine that will run on either 110V or 220V. On 110V you'll get 20% duty cycle at 90 amps - enough to 3/16" material. The same machine at 220V will give you 30% duty cycle at 150amps - enough to do 3/8" material for 10% longer.

I'm running a 250amp Millermatic. Rarely do I use it in "full power," but in the ranges I do use it regularly I have 100% duty cycle or nearly so. Light stuff and the internal fan doesn't even come on a lot of the time.

+1, very good advice from Thomas. Definitely be sure to check out the duty cycles on the welders. Also, longer MIG guns are nice, but more prone to fouling some of the thinner wires. Hard wire with a shielding gas usually leaves a cleaner weld than using flux-cored wire w/o gas.

Re amperage, it depends upon the specific welder, but most likely you will need at least a 10ga, 30A 240VAC circuit for the smaller MIG's, and up to a 50A, 6 guage circuit for the larger ones.

Chris Fournier
05-30-2011, 6:33 PM
I would have to ask what kind of work you envision doing. If you're blasting stuff together MIG is great but for all around versatility I'd consider TIG first and the bonus is that it does stick as well. TIG gives you the potential for more finesse over MIG. It is slower but they're isn't much you can't do with TIG and stick.

Thomas Bank
05-30-2011, 8:52 PM
I would have to ask what kind of work you envision doing. If you're blasting stuff together MIG is great but for all around versatility I'd consider TIG first and the bonus is that it does stick as well.

The other thing I'll say is that currently all my machines were bought used - MM250X for MIG, Syncrowave 250DX for TIG, and a Hypertherm 1100 for plasma cutting.

Or get both... ;)

Mac McQuinn
05-30-2011, 9:15 PM
Chris,
I've done metal restoration work on automobiles, motorcycles, gas pumps, and general fabrication for close to forty years. I'm familiar with the Tig & Stick processes as I was AWS certified in both years ago. Unfortunately as you get older stick welding w/ Bifocals is a real pain, even with a magnifier plate. I feel the Mig Flux-core process is a great substitute for stick welding in the field since it works well in windy conditions and on rusty metal. While I enjoy Tig welding very much I no longer do Aluminum turning in my Argon tank lease. I felt the MIG process was more versatile for my needs and went in that direction. While I'm certainly not ruling out future use of TIG on steel, It's a different process and not what I'm looking for at this time(never say never). I still gas and braze weld.....it's a bit of a lost art although really challenging to do well. I have a lot of respect for good stick weldors, My father was a Steamfitter/Weldor and you would not believe the things he could do with a stick.

Mac

I would have to ask what kind of work you envision doing. If you're blasting stuff together MIG is great but for all around versatility I'd consider TIG first and the bonus is that it does stick as well. TIG gives you the potential for more finesse over MIG. It is slower but they're isn't much you can't do with TIG and stick.

Mac McQuinn
05-30-2011, 9:24 PM
Scott,
With your information I think I'm going to be upgrading my 220V line, thanks.

Mac

+1, very good advice from Thomas. Definitely be sure to check out the duty cycles on the welders. Also, longer MIG guns are nice, but more prone to fouling some of the thinner wires. Hard wire with a shielding gas usually leaves a cleaner weld than using flux-cored wire w/o gas.

Re amperage, it depends upon the specific welder, but most likely you will need at least a 10ga, 30A 240VAC circuit for the smaller MIG's, and up to a 50A, 6 guage circuit for the larger ones.