PDA

View Full Version : red mallee bowl

David E Keller
05-29-2011, 6:06 PM
One of the guys that works for our billing company came by my shop and offered to buy a maple burl platter that I'd already promised to someone else. He then offered to commission a piece in the style and wood of my choice. Since I'm too cheap to buy one of these burls with my own money, I chose to do it with his!:D

This wood is rock hard and dusty... Not sure why I picked it.:o Had it not been for my carbide tool and a heavy Sorby scraper, I'd still be hacking away at this thing.

This is 17.5 x 14 x 3 inches. It's finished with shellac, BLO, and ren wax. Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Steve bellinger
05-29-2011, 6:11 PM
As always your work blowes me away, and this is no exception.

Larry Marley
05-29-2011, 6:17 PM
The end result is Amazing!

Michelle Rich
05-29-2011, 6:19 PM
that is fantastic. a real treat for the eyes. You used that expensive burl to the max!

Toney Robertson
05-29-2011, 6:19 PM
That is a sweet piece. You did a wonderful job on it especially considering the size of the chunk of wood. I bet that piece of wood set him back a coin or two!!!

Even though, as you stated, it is hard and dusty, I enjoy Red Mallee burl. It is difficult but as you have proven the results are worth the effort.

Matt Hutchinson
05-29-2011, 6:33 PM
Great bowl, and congrats on the commission!

You have some good timing as well. Earlier today I was looking for some red mallee on some burl sites. Do you have a trusted and/or preferred supplier?

Again, beautiful bowl!

Hutch

Ed Morgano
05-29-2011, 6:40 PM
David,
That is simply beautiful.

David DeCristoforo
05-29-2011, 7:00 PM
Too nyce, mate! Love the "bowl in a bowl" thing created by the neat undercut bead. That makes it for me. That Aussie burl is wicked looking stuff. I've only had one piece and it was nowhere's that nice and it's a good thing because I totally messed it up anyway! I'd love to try some again sometime but as you alluded to, this stuff ain't cheap!

Steve Schlumpf
05-29-2011, 7:13 PM
Wow! Great job! Your customer is going to love it! Hope this means repeat business for you! Seriously - beautiful bowl!

Jim Burr
05-29-2011, 7:21 PM
That's going to blow him away! To cool for words!

Roger Chandler
05-29-2011, 7:21 PM
Very nice David.........really pretty wood.

Dick Wilson
05-29-2011, 7:26 PM
Now that is a pretty bowl

John Keeton
05-29-2011, 7:27 PM
David, you did a super job on this one!! The form is great, and the bead work is perfect. Such a wild looking wood calls for a simple design, and you filled the bill. Your customer should be very pleased.

I had some Aussie burls when I first started turning, and found them too hard for my tastes. For those with the gumption to tackle it (like you have), the reward is high!

Curt Fuller
05-29-2011, 7:33 PM
What a great looking bowl! Those Aussie burls are like nothing else in the world. I really like how you put that little bead on the top and bottom where the bowl transitions into the wings. That's so pretty I would have a hard time parting with it.

Allan Ferguson
05-29-2011, 7:42 PM
Stunning! Great work. Bought my first camera in Enid, 1965-66.

David E Keller
05-29-2011, 7:52 PM
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

...Do you have a trusted and/or preferred supplier?
Hutch

I've only dabbled in purchasing this stuff because the prices are pretty steep... All of the sites I've seen sell these by the pound(kilo) based on harvest weight. I received some burls for Christmas gifts from Australianburls.com, and I was pleased with the wood. That's where I ordered this one as well. The service was great, and Jim will send you additional photos of a piece if you have questions. When I chose the burl for this project, he was nice enough to send my several photos of this piece and several others that were similar. The shipping was fast and reasonable. I've also heard good things about Bad Dog Burls for Aussie stuff... I haven't ordered from him, but I've drooled over the site photos on a number of occasions. FWIW, my limited experience with the Aussie burls tells me that red mallee is about the hardest of the bunch. The yellow box burl, brown mallee, and several others I've turned have been a bit easier going. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Michael James
05-29-2011, 8:28 PM
Another killer Keller piece. Whatever struggle with this was worth it - the end easily justifies the necessary means. Nice job and thanks for posting!
mj

Baxter Smith
05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Wonderful piece of wood and your turning makes it exceptional!

Scott Hackler
05-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Really nice work David. I am hoping to snag a deal or 2 on some Australian burls while in St Paul. That is a fantastic piece of wood.

Rick Markham
05-30-2011, 5:05 AM
My only comment is "Wow!"

The aussie's are fun woods... if you enjoy a good beating, turning granite, and sore arms for days... Personally I love them! Great work David, it's spectacular!

Jim Heikes
05-30-2011, 5:57 AM
Matt

I have purchased many burls from this place.

http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/

Jimmy.........................//////PS (Matt your PM mailbox is full......I tried a PM but no luck)

Matt Hutchinson
05-30-2011, 6:28 AM
Oops! Time to delete all my sent PMs. Thanks Jim!

Keith E Byrd
05-30-2011, 7:30 AM
Awesome job David! I really like the wood and the simple shape - as others have said the bead is just the right touch!

Raymond Sprouse
05-30-2011, 7:33 AM
Great job. I love this bowl.

Russell Eaton
05-30-2011, 8:26 AM
David you done good by yet another piece of wood. I have only turned a couple small pieces of that for pens but it was a slow go for sure. Awesome job and I like the raised lip as well.

Cory Norgart
05-30-2011, 8:47 AM
Wow David!!!! That is some intense looking burlwood. Top Notch!!!! You never seize to amaze me. The form is excellent.

Graham Sugar
05-30-2011, 7:32 PM
David
just love the shape and finish that is a great Burl bowl but I think it is Brown Mallee the photo i have included is Red Mallee..... any way a top job
Regards
Graham
PS if you think the Mallee was hard you need to try a yellow box burl:mad::mad:

David E Keller
05-30-2011, 8:10 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

Graham, I would certainly defer to an Aussie about the timber species, but it's got more red than the photo would indicate... It's certainly not as brilliant as the piece you showed. That's an amazing piece of timber and a nice form as well. I've turned a bit of brown mallee, and this chunk is not like any of the brown mallee I've turned. Either way, you turners on the other side of the Earth have got some of the nicest looking woods I've ever seen. Cheers!

bob svoboda
05-31-2011, 9:11 AM
Great work, David. I have a hunk of Red Malee that has been waiting for inspiration for quite some time. Perhaps it's time is now. Hope you wouldn't think ill of a copycat.

Cathy Schaewe
06-02-2011, 5:39 PM
I was going back through the threads I missed and found this - WOW! What a great piece!

BTW, I met the owners of Bad Dog Burls at Totally Turning in Saratoga - very nice people, and the burls were gorgeous. I also thought they were reasonably priced. FWIW.

Aaron Wingert
06-03-2011, 12:22 AM
David you knocked this one out of the park. Simply awesome. I would be so stressed out with that much of someone else's money spinning on the lathe that I'd be shaking too hard to take a cut.

Dan Forman
06-03-2011, 3:08 AM
Really nice piece, and I've heard that you will take a beating, especially a piece this large.

Dan

Tim Rinehart
06-03-2011, 9:00 AM
That is a beauty of a mallee bowl. Great rim treatment, top and bottom. I echo comments about concern with commissioning when using expensive woods...you did this justice!