PDA

View Full Version : Bottomless Bowl

Steve Plunkett
02-08-2005, 10:05 AM
I tried something a little different for me this weekend. Take a look and see what you think. First time for a picture. I hope it worked. Thanks for looking.

keith zimmerman
02-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Steve,

your picture worked fine for me, but it was a bit small. To the bowl...wonderful! I like the form you have chosen. I have tried this type of form myself and know that it is not easy to accomplish.

Please share more details about this (size, wood, finish, more pics, etc.)

This bowl looks really good. I particularly like the pointed feet. Are there 3 or four feet, can't tell from the pic.

keithz

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Steve....I'm not a turner yet but....I like the form and the finish of your bowl. How about some more details....wood, finish.....a bigger picture? Great looking bowl!

Scott Coffelt
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I like, I may have to try something like that on my next square bowl project. Also, give us some details here man.

Steve Plunkett
02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Keith,
Sorry for the lack of information. The bowl is figured maple and is 8" square. It does rest on its four corners. For the finish I sanded it to 600 grit and then Beall buffed it. Here is a larger version.

Thanks for your comments.
Steve

Steve Plunkett
02-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Bad picture. I'll try again.

Ted Shrader
02-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Steve -

First - Welcome to the Creek!

Next - That is a great design. Any other unique designs you have hiding you could show us?

Thanks for posting.

Welcome,
Ted

Jeff Sudmeier
02-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Steve, another welcome to the creek! That bowl looks great, I am sure that it was a challange.

Jim Becker
02-08-2005, 12:31 PM
NOT what I was expecting from the thread title!!! ;)

This is excellent. Nice job!!

David Fried
02-08-2005, 1:16 PM
Very nice looking. I can't decide if it's bottomless or actually topless :eek:
It reminds me of the picture that was on my calculus book many years ago.
I thought the picture was cool but seeing it made in wood is even better!

Gary Max
02-08-2005, 1:56 PM
I am with Jim---I saw the title and thought of a bowl that had the bottom blown out.
Not that I have ever do that--well at least no one ever saw it.
Anyway nice bowl --great finish.

Glenn Hodges
02-08-2005, 7:55 PM
Looks great, I bet you have to watch out for those wings.

Steve Plunkett
02-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Jim and Gary,
Sorry about the misleading title. I called it that because it sits on its feet and not its bottom. Rest assured I have plenty of the "other" kind of bottomless bowls.

Glenn,
Yep, those wings make me real nervous.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Steve

Steve Stube
02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I really like what you have made. Nobody has asked or commented on how you approached chucking this fine art so I assume I'm the only one that doesn't know how it is accomplished. Anyway, here goes, let my ignorance show, how/what was your method of chucking this creation? Photos would help a lot too I suspect. Steve TIA, Steve

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2005, 7:29 PM
Howdy Steve,

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Just like all the other pieces of yours that I have personally seen....just prefect...!!! :D

Steve Plunkett
02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Dennis,
Thanks, you are too kind.

Steve,
I start out with a 3" faceplate on the side I want to be the top. I shape and sand the bottom and leave a tenon. I then reverse it using a 4 jaw chuck and shape and sand the top. This gets rid of the screw holes from the faceplate when I cut out the bowl. Next I use a jam chuck to trim off the tenon, finish sand it and buff it. Hope this helps.
Steve

Steve Stube
02-15-2005, 6:12 PM
Thank you Steve, I was wondering if you employed a vacuum chuck at some point but the tenon is a neat "work a round", very nice.