PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Ridgid r4330, and have a feed problem

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
I have a bunch of rough cut oak that I am planing. The first 2 boards, these were about 4 feet, ran fine. But now, any board I feed through gets stuck, and I have to put quite the pressure, almost tipped the stand once, to get the board to go through. I've gotten down to only an 1/8th of a turn on passes, and it still sticks, and hard to push through. Any suggestions?

glenn bradley
05-29-2011, 12:55 PM
My .02 - Sounds like fouled rollers or a fouled platen. Unplug the machine and raise the head as far as you can. Inspect the rollers and clean with alcohol and a nylon brush if required. Clean the platen (bed) and tables thoroughly and wax well. Give 'er another try and see how she goes.

I should also mention that the material should be fully supported through the path of travel. That is; not relying on the grip (and thereby putting leveraged force) of the planer to prevent dropping to the ground. My rule of thumb is that if I had the cutters out of the way, can I pass the material safely and well supported through the entire path? If not add support or rethink things a bit.

Bill Huber
05-29-2011, 1:04 PM
Is this a new planner?
If so I would talk to Ridgid about it, if not then I am with Glenn, clean it up and wax the tables really well.

I have the same planner and have never has a problem feeding boards though, on hard woods I am only think off about 1/32 at a time on softer wood I will take off a little more on each pass.

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 1:58 PM
Yes, it's brand new. Have only ran it a few hours, and only gotten about 5 boards done in those hours. Surely it should go faster than this?

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 2:02 PM
Also, even if i go as low as 1/128, it still binds up

Bill Huber
05-29-2011, 2:08 PM
Also, even if i go as low as 1/128, it still binds up

Where did you buy it?

If it was HD I would just take it back.

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 2:28 PM
I think I will. Now the board will start to twist as it feeds. Something isn't right.

Bruce Page
05-29-2011, 2:48 PM
Where did you buy it?

If it was HD I would just take it back.

Absolutely.

Neil Brooks
05-29-2011, 2:54 PM
Amen.

Under warranty = don't monkey with it, when you bought it from a local brick-and-mortar store.

The risk ? If you monkey with it ... you never know WHAT would lead them to VOID your warranty.

Good luck ! I love my R4330, so ... once you get over this speed bump ... I think you'll have a low-cost, high-quality machine.

Oh, and ... consider adding a Wixey planer height gauge, at some point. VERY nice addition:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x0qsUBmAwOQ/TOLu8OmJQRI/AAAAAAAABXA/ujK7GzPj7uA/s576/P1050028.JPG

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 7:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and just got a refund. I've been getting by without a planer for a while, so I think I still can til I can get a REAL planer, :D. Now to figure out what to buy with my $400+

Bill Huber
05-29-2011, 8:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I went ahead and just got a refund. I've been getting by without a planer for a while, so I think I still can til I can get a REAL planer, :D. Now to figure out what to buy with my $400+

Andy, I just think you got a bad one, I really like my Ridgid and it has done a very good job for me. I have a friend that bought one having using mine and they really like it.

So maybe you should just get another one.

glenn bradley
05-29-2011, 8:37 PM
I think I will. Now the board will start to twist as it feeds. Something isn't right.

I'm with Bill. Didn't realize it was a new machine, sorry about that. Take her back.

glenn bradley
05-29-2011, 8:39 PM
Now to figure out what to buy with my $400+

That's the tax and shipping on your "real planer" :D:D:D

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 8:55 PM
That's the tax and shipping on your "real planer" :D:D:D

lol, yeah no joke.

I really haven't decided what to do I guess. The closest HD to me is right at 40 miles. If I went back and got another, and if by chance I had to take it back again, it would suck. I'll give it a day or two to think about

Andy Favors
05-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Just noticed you were from Fort Worth Bill. I was born there, raised in White Settlement. Still have family there.

Bill Huber
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Just noticed you were from Fort Worth Bill. I was born there, raised in White Settlement. Still have family there.

I really like it here, been here for 25 years. I am now just in Fort Worth on the north, I am just out of Haslet.

So come down and see the family and then you can come by and see me. There is a HD about 5 mile from me so we can go get a new planner.....:D

Andy Favors
05-30-2011, 12:28 AM
lol, I don't go down very often. Big city life isn't for me anymore. I live just outside of a town that might be a 1/4 mile long. It's peaceful out here, until I get my tools going, :D Luckily the only neighbor I have doesn't mind the noise.

I think I have decided to just go pick another one up tomorrow. Heck, if it messes up again, I still have 90 days to return it. So all I have to lose is gas.

Kirk Duff
05-30-2011, 2:05 AM
My r4330 used to do this to me from time to time all i ever did was cleaned the feed rollers off with alcohol. it would work great after that. The feed rollers would have fine dust on them that would cause them to slip. My dewalt has the same issue from time to time

david brum
05-30-2011, 9:59 AM
Just a nudge...I bought a Ridgid planer a few years ago. After I got it home and tried it, I realized that I just too loud for my comfort level. I returned it and found a used 15" for similar money. I'm much happier with that machine.